Strategy on bottling 8 oz of draft beer per day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky Boy

Reaction score
Hello all- just joined site- I hope this is an appropriate place for this question. I figured this community would be up for a unique challenge!

I am moving into a new apartment with an amenity that allows me to pour 8 oz of craft beer from a tap per day. I would much prefer to somehow bottle this and have it available for several weeks, but I'm worried it will be flat or crap. Any suggestions on strategies? I have some swing top bottles and was going to try these out but I don't move in for a week or so.

As a plan B, I will happily drink 8oz of beer a day! Also, if it helps, I can pay $120 for another 8 oz daily pour. In other words, I could pour 16 oz per day. This might help as 8 oz is a small quantity.

Thanks!

Well that's... unique. Is the tap digitally metered? And do tell a bit more about this arrangement, just out of interest.

Anyway, a partially filled bottle of beer will quickly become oxidized and lose carbonation. It's really not going to work to keep that beer for more than a couple of days. However, if you sprung for the 16 oz. option, you could buy a bunch of 500 mL swing top bottles (16.9 oz.) and those should keep the beer in decent shape for a little while.

Well that's... unique. Is the tap digitally metered? And do tell a bit more about this arrangement, just out of interest.

Anyway, a partially filled bottle of beer will quickly become oxidized and lose carbonation. It's really not going to work to keep that beer for more than a couple of days. However, if you sprung for the 16 oz. option, you could buy a bunch of 500 mL swing top bottles (16.9 oz.) and those should keep the beer in decent shape for a little while.

Awesome thanks for the quick info! Ok that is good advice and very helpful- not to try and bottle 8 oz. I haven't moved in yet so I will inspect the tap once I do and provide more info. On the tour I just saw the tap coming out of a counter top. I am not sure if I will be able to access the guts underneath- wouldn't be surprised if it was locked. If so maybe I will witness them keg changing. I would like to prototype the 16oz bottling and just try the beer in 2 weeks.....but would have to pay the $120 to even try it.

I don't understand. What's this all about? Seems very odd.

$120 seems pretty steep (I assume per month?).
That's like $8 a pint (for an extra 15 pints a month, not counting the free 15 pints).
My bad, I should have clarified that better. This is part of a high rise apartment building in a major city. On the top floor there is a "lounge" that requires "membership". It is honestly a stupid marketing ploy - it is for residents and their guests only (no outside membership), but the views are fantastic and your "membership" includes this machine where you scan and can get 8 oz of beer per day (presumably hooked up to a keg- I need to investigate more when we move in). Each resident gets 1 membership included with their rent, but can purchase another one for $120 PER YEAR. It is my wife and I and she doesn't drink beer. We don't need another membership for her to enjoy the view- we can just go up together (or separately). But another membership would turn both of our key fobs on to the 8oz daily pour (mine is already turned on from the 1 included membership). So in theory $120 would buy 243 bottles of craft beer if I poured 8 oz 365 days per year ($0.49/bottle). But in actuality there is no way in hell I would fill it 365 times in a year. Plus the cost of swing top bottles which aren't expensive, but you would need a decent collection of them to make sure you are filling it up nearly daily to take advantage. Also this is kind of a hassle to do, albeit a small one. I don't know how often they change the menu but when we visited it was 3 Floyds Gumballhead which is a solid beer.

Last edited:
In an ideal world, I would have 6-8 16 oz swing tops in my fridge at all times and be able to consume between 1-3 of them 2-3 times a week and replenish as necessary. I don't want to just drink 16 oz every day - this is why I'm trying to figure out how to pour it and save it.

Marketing ploy indeed. I'd be leery of this. First off what whiz kid came up with an 8 oz pour? I wouldn't bet on the tap being kept in the best of shape by people this unaware of craft beer culture.

In an ideal world, I would have 6-8 16 oz swing tops in my fridge at all times and be able to consume between 1-3 of them 2-3 times a week and replenish as necessary. I don't want to just drink 16 oz every day - this is why I'm trying to figure out how to pour it and save it.

@Ricky Boy, please do not take this wrong. Personally, I wouldn't bother what you are considering.

You may find that people frown on what you are considering and that social etiquette and others perceptions of you may be more of an influencing decision. I understand the marketing effort and also the effort for people to get to know each other. I believe that is the point of this added feature. I believe the "extra" membership is there so as a spouse or partner could benefit of having a drink while enjoying others company and enjoying the views.

Just curious, if they also offered eight ounces of chips and/or peanuts, would you go there daily with a baggie to take back the chips and/or peanuts to your unit just because you are entitled to it?

The first time we visited the Vatican my wife and I naively filled our little bottles from the font at the entrance to the basilica, much to the consternation of those behind us in line. As they waited feverishly to dip their fingers in the salty communal pond, desperate to dab it on their faces, we dared take a few seconds longer and delayed their moment of nirvana. They glared at us like they could murder us for the transgression. We took home our little bottles of sweat-tainted blessings and have them still today. In later visits we've opted to cough up the 2 euros for a little sealed bottle of holy water, sans filth, for use in our household.

But hey, where you choose to take your libations is up to you.

Edit: I used 'sweat' and 'taint' in the same post! Achievement unlocked!

A tap is a glorious place for bacteria to feed on the residual beer left dripping from its spout.
Don’t get me wrong, people have been drinking draft for centuries without any ill effects.
From experience I can tell you that bottling from a keg will result in that bacteria multiplying and over carbonating the contents of the bottle.
If you keep the bottle cold, you might have few weeks before it’s a gusher.
These days, if I’m going to bottle from my taps, I’ll break it all down and run a full cleaning regimen on the tap and lines before the bottling run.
This is limited to competitions for me.

Another point is the hassle.
If you find it too much of a hassle to run to the top floor to grab a cup of beer when you’re thirsty, you’ll quickly grow tired of doing it when you’re not.

$120 is not a bad price for, say, 40 beers.
Since each pour is a cup, plan on 80 visits a year to break even.
If you see yourself headed up there twice a week for a pint, then the second membership is worth it.

Marketing ploy indeed. I'd be leery of this. First off what whiz kid came up with an 8 oz pour? I wouldn't bet on the tap being kept in the best of shape by people this unaware of craft beer culture.

I think that is an excellent point about the tap likely not being in great shape. I should just try the beer first before considering anything- if it isn't even good o. I know, right? 8 oz pour is the worst, unless you are at a pub and just want a 1/2 beer (I actually do enjoy this if I want to try a beer or want another but maybe not a full one). Anyway you are right- the tap probably isn't kept in good shape.
A tap is a glorious place for bacteria to feed on the residual beer left dripping from its spout.
Don’t get me wrong, people have been drinking draft for centuries without any ill effects.
From experience I can tell you that bottling from a keg will result in that bacteria multiplying and over carbonating the contents of the bottle.
If you keep the bottle cold, you might have few weeks before it’s a gusher.
These days, if I’m going to bottle from my taps, I’ll break it all down and run a full cleaning regimen on the tap and lines before the bottling run.
This is limited to competitions for me.

Another point is the hassle.
If you find it too much of a hassle to run to the top floor to grab a cup of beer when you’re thirsty, you’ll quickly grow tired of doing it when you’re not.

$120 is not a bad price for, say, 40 beers.
Since each pour is a cup, plan on 80 visits a year to break even.
If you see yourself headed up there twice a week for a pint, then the second membership is worth it.

Excellent points! Hadn't thought of the bacteria. Thanks.

The first time we visited the Vatican my wife and I naively filled our little bottles from the font at the entrance to the basilica, much to the consternation of those behind us in line. As they waited feverishly to dip their fingers in the salty communal pond, desperate to dab it on their faces, we dared take a few seconds longer and delayed their moment of nirvana. They glared at us like they could murder us for the transgression. We took home our little bottles of sweat-tainted blessings and have them still today. In later visits we've opted to cough up the 2 euros for a little sealed bottle of holy water, sans filth, for use in our household.

But hey, where you choose to take your libations is up to you.

Edit: I used 'sweat' and 'taint' in the same post! Achievement unlocked!
LOL is all I can say.

@Ricky Boy, please do not take this wrong. Personally, I wouldn't bother what you are considering.

You may find that people frown on what you are considering and that social etiquette and others perceptions of you may be more of an influencing decision. I understand the marketing effort and also the effort for people to get to know each other. I believe that is the point of this added feature. I believe the "extra" membership is there so as a spouse or partner could benefit of having a drink while enjoying others company and enjoying the views.

Just curious, if they also offered eight ounces of chips and/or peanuts, would you go there daily with a baggie to take back the chips and/or peanuts to your unit just because you are entitled to it?

Well I must say I did not plan on receiving life wisdom from this website, but indeed I have. You make a valid point and believe I have caught myself figuring the "can I do this" and not "should I do this". If I were bottling my daily 16 oz and a leasing office agent showed up giving a couple a tour, would I feel weird about what I was doing? Probably. Would I feel weird about becoming friends with that couple later? Maybe. I suppose I have a tendency to try and "get my monies worth" with these property management companies as they seem to perpetually win when it comes to finances. At any rate, thanks for your input and not shying away from an honest opinion. I have let it change my perspective.

Well I must say I did not plan on receiving life wisdom from this website, but indeed I have. You make a valid point and believe I have caught myself figuring the "can I do this" and not "should I do this". If I were bottling my daily 16 oz and a leasing office agent showed up giving a couple a tour, would I feel weird about what I was doing? Probably. Would I feel weird about becoming friends with that couple later? Maybe. I suppose I have a tendency to try and "get my monies worth" with these property management companies as they seem to perpetually win when it comes to finances. At any rate, thanks for your input and not shying away from an honest opinion. I have let it change my perspective.

I believe everyone is a winner with a strategy of building friendships that last a lifetime.

Enjoy the views and benefits of the building while at the same time enjoy socializing with your new neighbors. You might be lucky and forge new friendships that indeed last a life time that you might have other-wised missed had you just quickly went up there to grab a cup of beer. Heck, you may find someone else who likes to brew as well.

If you establish these friendships, you are the true winner and no amount of money or beer will compete with them or replace them. Good luck with your move!

I believe everyone is a winner with a strategy of building friendships that last a lifetime.

Enjoy the views and benefits of the building while at the same time enjoy socializing with your new neighbors. You might be lucky and forge new friendships that indeed last a life time that you might have other-wised missed had you just quickly went up there to grab a cup of beer. Heck, you may find someone else who likes to brew as well.

If you establish these friendships, you are the true winner and no amount of money or beer will compete with them or replace them. Good luck with your move!

Well said! I couldn't agree more and would feel privileged to make some amazing friends at this new building- a large reason we are willing to pay for a place with nice amenities. Best of luck to you too!

Why would you ask such a thing?

Pain, barbecue, sour cream and onion?... we gotta know what type of chips we're talking about here in order to answer.

16 oz soda bottles and carbonate caps. That will keep the O2 out and carbonated.

Edit: this assumes you have a source of CO2 like a kegarator.

Back