Strange thing when I racked to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
I brewed, fermented 10 days, D-rest 2 days, checked gravity, my ADF was 74, then dry hopped for 7 days.

Racked to brite tank (secondary), and when I was finished, I noticed there was white stuff in the fermenter, kind of scaly, flat pieces of whitish stuff in there.

I've been out of brewing for a few years, but I can not remember seeing this.

I dry hopped 6 gallons with 1 oz Centennial - 9.30

One other thing: usually, when I look in the fermenter and take a very deep breath, the alcohol makes me cough - did before the dry hop, but not after.

Also, beer smells fine, no off flavors, etcl

And, the white things were not floating on the surface until I got down to the bottom of draining - most were stuck on the sides with pieces of pellet hop residue

Thanks - hope somebody knows WTF this is.

Hmmm... just guessing.. Some yeasts will create quite a bit of krausen ring, which invariably sticks to the edges, and can look 'odd' sometimes.

As for the open-fermenter cough, I wonder if that is more from the CO2 that is coming off the freshly opened fermenter? Then after it escapes, you dry hop, and without further fermentation .. no more CO2.. so you wouldn't notice it later. A lung full of CO2 can be unpleasant.

Sounds like your beer is basically fine though! :mug:
--Lexuschris

Hmmm... just guessing.. Some yeasts will create quite a bit of krausen ring, which invariably sticks to the edges, and can look 'odd' sometimes.

As for the open-fermenter cough, I wonder if that is more from the CO2 that is coming off the freshly opened fermenter? Then after it escapes, you dry hop, and without further fermentation .. no more CO2.. so you wouldn't notice it later. A lung full of CO2 can be unpleasant.

Sounds like your beer is basically fine though! :mug:
--Lexuschris

Yes, I think you're right - it's not the alcohol - it's the CO2 causing the lung duress.

Again, it smells fine, so I'll wait a few weeks to keg and see how it turns out.

Thanks

Back