Strange or Not? Fermentation stopping and starting own it own

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

82ABShizzle

Reaction score
I have and Irish stout that actively fermented for 1 week at 65 deg, 2 in Krausen. The Krausen had fallen and no "visible" activity for two additional weeks. I took it down from the top of my closet to check gravity in anticipation of bottling. It seems the swirling action caused by the movement started up visible active fermentation with a new krausen layer. Since it was actively fermenting again I didn't check gravity. This second active fermentation is in its 4th day.

The temp was relatively constant at 65 degrees per the temp strip during this entire process. Why would activity be visible again after two weeks of inactivity? Was it just the swiriling action? If so is it advisable to routinely swirl fermenter to aid the fermentation process?

Last question: Would this Active-inactive-active fermentation cause any off flavors?:confused:

Was it a new krausen layer or could it have been that the krausen just hadn't totally dropped yet?

A lot of times, moving a fermenter will cause co2 to be released from the beer. Its not a renewed fermentation, just some co2 coming out of solution.

i can't tell you for sure what's going on, but just the other day, a RyePA I brewed looked like the krausen was starting to fall after about 3 days of fermentation, so i turned the temp control up 1, yes 1 degree in the room to facilitate the other brew I have in there and the result was the krausen reforming with a fury. it's now higher than it was before... seems odd to me but the beer seems happy, so i'm just letting it chug away.

Chode (nice handle BTW :D), the old krausen had definitely fallen and had been for some time. I primary in a glass carboy. I can see Co2 coming out of solution after movement but, 4 days and steady?

Chode (nice handle BTW :D),

thanks....i guess.....just an nickname ive always had :fro:

the old krausen had definitely fallen and had been for some time. I primary in a glass carboy. I can see Co2 coming out of solution after movement but, 4 days and steady?

Apparently I cant read, I didnt see in your first post that it was going on for four days.

Back