Strange Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnsfeigel

Reaction score
Ok guys, I am sure this is a common question, but I searched on this and couldn't really find anything that matched. This is my 2nd batch and first attempt at kegging so forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question.

The beer in question is a DoggieStyle APA clone that I kegged almost a week ago. I am using a sanke keg in an unmodified Danby kegerator. After racking and purging, I "forced" it at 20psi for about 2 days, then dropped to serving pressure of 11, where it's been for about 4 days.

The head on this stuff is amazing. It's a massive creamy head off the tap, that settles upwards through the glass like a guinness/boddingtons to about 1". The question is the oddity that happens after settling. It will almost disappear after about 10min, leaving broken islands of heavy foam across the top (see pic.) It seems like a complete contradiction between creamy foam vs. poor head retention.

I thought maybe it was something like a soapy glass, but have eliminated that with different glasses and washings. I am also wondering if there's any difference in keg-carbing in a sanke due to the gas and beer sharing the dip tube. I expect that it's over-carbed, and have purged off twice over the last few days just to see if there was any difference. No change so far. I figured I'd save everyone a total recipe breakdown unless that would help with diagnoses. Let me know if more info would help!

Thanks

2012-03-07_18-43-12_315.jpg

Looks fairly normal to me.... I have an oatmeal stout carbed at 2.1 volumes and it has great head retention, decent lacing, and I get those broken island foam clumps after the head finally collapses. I think mine might have something to do with the particular malt I used in this batch.

I feel like I have a similar issue, if this is even considered an issue. The head just seems to kind of clump together, it's not really a huge deal but it just seems odd to me. Did you use headwaters yeast?

Latest posts

Back