Straining wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cableman

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been brewing extracts since about 2016. Always used the same process and the beers have been good. I recently moved to another state and have Local stores near me. I have been told at the stores that I should not strain the wort as it goes in the primary fermentor. One store says never strain till it goes in the secondary and the other store says don't strain till going in the keg. Just wanted some others opinions.
Thanks

Some folks like clear wort to fermenter.
I dump everything from kettle into fermenter.

Everything.

On the hoppy beers, or with whole flower hops, I will pour through this to the fermenter or I can get some grassy vegetal flavor.
1643983604697.png

I *NEVER* strain from fermenter as it is too easy to add oxygen by doing that.
@day_trippr has a great method of adding strainer attachment to a racking cane that works for him
1643983764100.png

I have done this both successfully and unsuccessfully with an autosiphon. The trouble with autosiphon is that if the filter gets clogged, the siphon suction will pull air from between the two autosiphon tubes, meaning you're oxygenating the flow very well, which is suboptimal.

I have a strainer/filter between the pump and plate chiller just to catch any extra particles that might get stuck inside the chiller. Otherwise, no straining at all. Never strained when transferring a batch (either before or after yeast pitch). Never strained during a transfer when I was using carboys either. IME, letting things settle and simply keeping the pickup above the trub was more than enough to get clear finished beer.

IME, either picking a good flocculation rated yeast for batches, or giving them enough TIME to fully flocculate, is far better. With temperature control you can also get the yeast to settle faster/better. There are far better/easier ways to get clear beer than trying to filter it. At least unless you're willing to invest in one of the filter setups that breweries sometimes use. Even there, I would think there are oxidization risks attached if not done 100% correctly. Cold crashing and giving time to settle is easier, safer, cheaper, and a known proven method.

It depends on if you want to follow brewing science or convenience? Both are acceptable in the homebrew world and I will not judge. If you want to follow the brewing science, you leave everything behind in the mash, then everything behind on the boil kettle. Clear wort all the way through. You add oxygen prior to pitching yeast then try your hardest to eliminate oxygen ingress from that point on.

Settling for a time period is more effective than straining imho as what you want to get out is far smaller than a strainer screen.

I try to leave as much behind as I can for any transfer but I never strain, not worth the effort to me.
My brews settle out just fine.
But! I don't see any reason to say "Don't do it", I think it is up to you and I can't see that you will harm anything by doing it as long as you are careful not to introduce bad stuff while trying to remove the normal stuff.

eta: clarified year study was published and year book was published.

Always used the same process and the beers have been good.
Let your tastes (and the tastes of who you brew for) be your guide.

There is a study (from 1980), discussed briefly in the book The New IPA (2019, chapter 5, 2nd paragraph) that found that people have different thresholds for various flavors. You can see this in one of the replies (above) with regard to grassy flavors from hop trub.

I have been told [by a person] that I should not strain the wort as it goes in the primary fermentor. One [person] says never strain till it goes in the secondary and the other [person] says don't strain till going in the keg.
Did these people offer an explanation as to why they do what they do?

Just wanted some others opinions.
It's plausible that there are people here who are highly sensitive to certain flavors that come from malt trub or hop trub.

If you are curious about the impact of clearer wort on your beer, ...

... with your next batch, try leaving trub behind when moving from the boil kettle to the fermenter. This can be as simple as letting the wort sit for a couple of hours after it has cooled, then transferring the clear wort to the fermenter. (Hop bags and strainers would also reduce the amount of trub that needs to settle). The focus is on getting a clear wort in the fermenter - so when the wort starts to become cloudy, stop transferring. Note that you will likely end up with less wort in the fermenter.

Last edited:
I filter my wort through a colander/strainer to get rid of the hop sludge, but that's mainly because I ferment in corny kegs. Since I'm already shortchanging my volume of finished beer, I'd rather not add the sludge and shortchange myself even more.

When I fermented in buckets, I didn't mind pouring it all in and letting the trub compact itself during the cold crash. It didn't make its way into the keg after fermentation.

I have been told at the stores that I should not strain the wort as it goes in the primary fermentor.
Since you're brewing extract you won't have much hot and cold break in your wort, but you will have some hop pulp, unless they're bagged.
Are you doing full volume boils or do you top up in the fermenter?

If you don't do full volume boils, (so you're topping up in the fermenter), you have very high gravity wort in your kettle, so any wort left behind multiplies to more lost beer in the end.
Either way, if you can strain tightly (like through a fine sieve or a mesh bag) then the wort loss would be far less. Just sure everything touching your chilled wort is sanitized, such as sieves, strainers, bags etc.

One store says never strain till it goes in the secondary
Using secondaries is pretty much moot anyway, creating problems (oxidation, infection) while preventing none. Except in some very special circumstances (sours, fruit, long term bulk aging, etc.), I'd avoid using secondaries like the plague.

If and when racking to a secondary (when using one is absolutely needed) you'd leave the trub on the bottom, undisturbed, so there is no need to strain anything.

You'd start racking from the middle of the primary, halfway between the beer level and the trub layer.* Then lowering the racking cane/siphon slowly as the beer level drops. Toward the end, you could tilt the fermenter slowly to keep the siphoning well deeper. As soon as trub moves up the cane, you stop the transfer. Also, put one of those flow diverter tippies on the bottom of the cane, to prevent or reduce sucking up trub.

* Main point: Don't stick the cane all the way on the bottom, in the trub layer, as seen in so many videos.

Similar logic and process when transferring your beer from the (primary) fermenter to a keg.

In either case you want to prevent any oxygen ingress after pitching yeast and the initial oxygenation/aeration. For that reason (semi) closed transfers into 100% CO2 pre-purged kegs is recommended.

Hello all, I have been brewing extracts since about 2016. Always used the same process and the beers have been good. I recently moved to another state and have Local stores near me. I have been told at the stores that I should not strain the wort as it goes in the primary fermentor. One store says never strain till it goes in the secondary and the other store says don't strain till going in the keg. Just wanted some others opinions.
Thanks

Both of those stores' people are giving you really bad advice. Passing through a strainer will aerate the wort, something that should never be done at either of those stages.

I strain every beer before going into the fermenter after the wort is completely cooled to 70F or less. Here's why:
1. Hops leave a lot of debris and can carry hot break proteins into the wort which can cause chill haze.
2. Boiled work is seriously short of available oxygen. Oxygen is need for yeast health and reproduction.
3. Straining the wort adds oxygen to the wort and promotes good yeast reproduction so there is sufficient healthy yeast to ferment the wort
completely.
4. Straining after fermentation can cause aeration causing a cardboard like taste. Oxygen is needed before fermentation and not after.
5. I simply prefer to strain the hop debris and trub out before it gets into the fermenter.

Thanks to all who replied. I never expected to get so many opinions from this. The double mesh strainer from above is what I use. Somewhere on youtube I saw a video from before I brewed my first batch that recommended to strain. I did, beer was good so that's how I continued. Thanks to all who took time to reply.

Back