Straining the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berock

Reaction score
I've been straining the wort after boiling and being chilled. I strain it when transfering to the primary fermenter. Is this appropriate or am I reducing the overall benefit of the hops (bitterness/aroma) flavor? I'm new so I can't remember if this is good to do for clarity purposes or if I should stop doing it. I guess the question is: Is using a strainer when transfering to the primary fermenter normal?

Perfectly normal. You want to separate your wort from the bulk of the hops. If some hop particles get in, it's not a big deal but you you don't want to dump all your brewing hops into the primary.

I use a bucket style primary and just put a large kitchen strainer across it and pour my cooled wort through it. If I use pellet hops, I have to dump the strainer 4 or 5 times during the transfer since they clog it up, but it's not enough of a pain for me to do differently.

Plus, pouring through the strainer is great for aeration.

I always have... it cuts down on trub but still enough stuff gets through

That's what I do. By the time the boil is done you've gotten most of the oils out of your hops, and if you were to strain before cooling you would be risking hot side aeration. By doing it after cooling you are helping to aerate with no risk of the hot side off flavors.

Thanks for the help. That's why I was doing it but just second guesing myself.

Back