Straining My Raspberry Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestCoastB

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im a super new to this all so im sorry if this is a easy/stupid question.
But I am on my 3rd batch, using a Brew House Cream Ale kit.
I want to make it a Raspberry Cream Ale, so I have added 6lbs of Raspberry to my primary fermentor. Last night I racked it into my Carboy, but I got a LOT of chunkies come with it.

I am just wondering what the best method of straining these out would be?
I know there is also going to be some stuff left over in the beer, esspecially if I am using raspberries but currently there is just too much stuff in the carboy.

Thanks,

B

The best way is to use a canister-type 2 micron filter. Lacking that, you can get some fine mesh knee-his and filter through them. Sanitize and wrap one around the submerged end of the racking cane.

The ol knee high stocking trick hey. Ok I guess I will give that a shot. Would I just boil the stocking in water for a while, then spray with my sani spray?
Also should I just leave the beer as is for the next 13 days as is outlined in my instructions ( boxed kit ) and deal with the straraing when I rack it back to my primary before botteling? Or should I do it now and get rid of the chunkies and then let it sit the remainder of the 13 days?

Thanks.

B

Personally, I'd do it now. That way you get rid of everything you can and can just wait for the rest to drop out on its own. Cold crash it if you can. That when when it comes to bottling, you have as clean of a product as possible... unless you want to go into filtering as mentioned.

Let us know how she ends up tasting!

Latest posts

Back