stout: thick krausen... no burping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becon776

Reaction score
So I've got a batch of nb sweet stout going. About four days ago. Good boil. Og = 1.054. The thing is that there seems to be no bubbling at airlock. You can see that the is pressure in the fermenter as the airlock levels are uneven. I broke rules to check gravity and there was THICK Krausen layer 24 hrs after pitching. Today same deal I did not open the fermenter but I gave the bucket a few back and forths and it went NUTS! I am going to have to add some vodka to the airlock BC the bubbling happened so vigorously that wort entered the airlock.
Weird I have never had a primary act like this. Regular consistent burping decking over a week. Strange.
Anyone had this experience. (Also this is my first time brewing a stout.) Oh yeah kit was brewed as written. Nottingham ale dry pitched directly)

Airlock activity isn't a good indicator of fermentation. Gravity readings are. I've had fermentations so vigorous that they've completely blown out an airlock and spewed krausen all over the room and fermentations that barely developed a krausen. Each one is different. Each one is alive.

Here's my foolproof procedure for all ale fermentations:

Ferment in the primary for three weeks if the OG is 1.060 or less. Ferment for four weeks in the primary if the OG is 1.060 or more. Generally, it takes most beers two to three weeks to completely ferment out (YMMV) but it benefits the flavor of the beer to let the beer sit on the yeast in the primary an extra week to clean up diacetyl and other precursor alcohols. I start taking gravity readings at three weeks and four weeks respectively, and if the FG is consistent for 3 days in a row, it's ready to bottle or keg.

What you're seeing is pretty normal,a strong fermentation. Starting with a blow off rig is def safer till initial fermentation is over. then install an airlock for the remainder of fermentation. I also use vodka in my airlocks,as anything that gets in it dies of alcohol poisoning.

Just funny since this is my fourth brew and all the others had a nice descending bubble rate over 1.5 weeks. I just have to leave it alone. And forget its there for a couple weeks

You probably just have a leak somewhere and the gas is escaping there. Check your lid/grommet/cap...

Airlock activity has begun... all is well. Its a slower ferment. Prob BC at this time of year I am usually brewing cider which is a completely different animal. Basement temps are lower now and I'm not getting the quick ferments I'm used to during warmer months. Just weird because the Krause was so huge with foam like all the gas was being held by it. Just like the broken calculators in my classroom just needed to be banged a couple times. LolLol

When I read that a fermentation is very aggressive, I ask what the temperature of the wort is. A very aggressive fermentation can usually be a sign the wort temperature is to high. High temperature ferments for most ale yeasts will produce off flavors. Second question, if wort temperature is controlled, is this a 5 gallon brew in a 5 gallon fermentor?

Heavy krausen formation is not always a sign of something wrong, but why not ask the question.

Yeah basement temps in summer ate usually 70-75° now they are 60-65°… slower ferment for sure. Never really had any off flavors at the higher range... but then I brew different beers in the summer with different yeast. Had issues with summer cider fusels before though.

This is a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon ferment or (brew bucket) and my first stout. I don't know why but it just seems right that a cream stout should be longer slower ferment than say an IPA or elglish bitter. I imagine the beers have personalities hahaha or maybe I've had one too many heady toppers today.

My PM traditional stout kit was done & clearing in 2 weeks with rehydrated US-05. That's the fastest ferment I've gotten on a PB/PM BIAB beer so far. Had it on bourbon soaked oak for a week & it's in bottles now since 11/6.

You pretty obviously have a leak in the seal on the lid of your bucket. This is not a big deal as long as it is fermenting actively and changing the airlock level but you want to get it out to a secondary vessel or bottle it once the gravity stabilizes for a few days or week because oxygen can leak back in and contaminate the flavor after primary fermentation stops if you leave it in there a long time.

Back