Storing temp for Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnkleKunkle

Reaction score
I keep my primary fermenter and carboy in my dining room when in use. The temp stays around 70 F. Everything I read says 68 F. Is that two degree difference really a big deal?

Thank You :ban:

In the heat of fermentation your wort will be hotter than 70F ambient room temp. When I started I made beer that way and it was fine. However now that I control temps the beer is far better. So two degrees is really 10 or so, in this case.

You're fine. I ferment in my basement that has an ambient temp around 65 or so year round with no issues.

I'd recommend some temp control bc the yeast increase the temperatures while they are working. It is easy/ cheap: rubbermaid container that fits my bucket, water and swapping out frozen bottles in the morning. Now it is at 64-66 degrees. After two weeks I stop with the bottles and don't worry, since they likely are done working.

ya the room stays right round seventy and my temp gauge on the bucket says 70-72. its never caused a problem before but i was wondering if it is going to change the flavor profile or just not ferment properly.

Back