Storing Brewing Equipment Outside? Any issues??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister704

Reaction score
So I purchased an outside storage unit since SWMBO has gotten a little aggravated with all of my beer thing piling up around the house.

Anyone store there items outside without any issues? I basically purchased a big sealed 5ft X 4.5ft lock box for my deck. Of course, I will be rigging some type of security inside it...just because thats what I do. Nice neighborhood but TRUST NO ONE!!!

I want to store my keggle, mash tun, wort chillers, pots and dual burner and propane stuff outside. Anyone see issues with this(temperature, conditions, rust...etc)? As for right now, all neighbors have grills and everything else you can mention on their decks so I suspect this would be just fine.

I store pretty much all of my equipment in a 10x10 storage shed with shelving units in it right now. No problems at all. However, it does make it more necessary to pre-heat my mash tun before mash in than when I used to keep it in the house. Temperatures being what they have been lately, it can be sitting at 50* easily, which will drop your mash in temp if you don't pre-heat.

started moving all mine out to the garage.... no car in it anyway, can't get to it with the narrow drive we have. I brew right there in front of it too. I just make sure I clear everything out, cover everything, and look for critters before I fire up the propane. Nothing like trying to 'cook' a spider in the orifice.... you can get a lot of things go wrong very quickly that way. :cross:

cool.... I definitely understand that warm up deal. If I plan to brew during the colder months, I will bring the items insider a few days earlier to knock the chill off.

Yea I had a lot of it in the garage but its a 1 car over-sized garage and storing it all in a corner plus 2 motorcycles and my wifes car(she was not very fond it) since she had to maneuver her car in and out to avoid hitting anything.

I want to store my keggle, mash tun, wort chillers, pots and dual burner and propane stuff outside.

You mean like in your yard? At the very least I would either use some kind of shelf or build a platform to keep it off the deck, then cover it with a tarp and wrap it in bungee cords or some rope.

It is one of these....that the things would be stored in.

And I will maybe add foam board or some sealant to keep things out and try to make it as sealed as I can.

oos350-814773-847__1.jpg

e23c84e8-ced2-40a1-88c7-9719e81344d9_400.jpg

Back