Stopper question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moboy

Reaction score
I just finished my first all grain brew. All went well until I accidentally pushed my stopper into my carboy. I used another stopped but is my first ag doomed?

Yeah, I've done this a couple of times. No biggie.

To get it out later (after transfer) take a plastic grocery bag, hold on to one handle and stuff the rest into the carboy, bounce the stopper into the bag and pull it out. This worked the best for me. I read about this some time ago and it worked great.....twice!

ETA: Also, I highly recommend universal stoppers. They're impossible to push in.

Yeah, I've done this a couple of times. No biggie.

To get it out later (after transfer) take a plastic grocery bag, hold on to one handle and stuff the rest into the carboy, bounce the stopper into the bag and pull it out. This worked the best for me. I read about this some time ago and it worked great.....twice!

ETA: Also, I highly recommend universal stoppers. They're impossible to push in.

or just reach in and grab it, since it's already transferred :D

Wow, what kind of grabber do you use? I assumed you meant by hand since you didn't say otherwise. I guess I'm pretty low tech!

ok, sorry, i'm a mechanical kinda guy. i have a grabber i use to pick stuff up. if you have to put a plastic bag in there and bounce it around... can you post video? i need a good chuckle

The plastic bag thing is mostly a party trick with a wine bottle and a cork. It will work with a carboy. They have YouTube videos of it.

Wow, what kind of grabber do you use? I assumed you meant by hand since you didn't say otherwise. I guess I'm pretty low tech!

i use a grabber that has 3 prongs (pretty solid). i put it in the carboy, then work it into the bottom hole of the plug. put a little star san into the mouth of the carboy to make it slippery, and the plug slides out, with the help of a pair of needle-nose grabbing the upside-down bottom. still a trick, but it works

i use a grabber that has 3 prongs (pretty solid). i put it in the carboy, then work it into the bottom hole of the plug. put a little star san into the mouth of the carboy to make it slippery, and the plug slides out, with the help of a pair of needle-nose grabbing the upside-down bottom. still a trick, but it works

Nice, always good to have a variety of techniques. I hope I never have to do it again though. :drunk:

I've seen people do that with a cork makes since it would work with a stopper.

Latest posts

Back