Stopped (stuck fermentation)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback_Jack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So excited to use my Chronical fermenter and FTSs with a water cooler for pump, and everything went GREAT!!!..... for two days.

After wort cooled I took a SG reading. 1.064, AWESOME! When transferring the cooled wort to my fermenter, I used a wort aerator attached to the end of the siphon hose (the kind that disperses the wort around, by splashing). Tossed two packets of Safale-05 into it, then closed it up. First two days my blowoff saw heavy activity, and when it slowed on day three I dumped a little trub from the bottom valve... probably a pint and a half. So far so good. The temp stabilizer was doing a beautiful job, when the weather was high. Then on day 3 the temp outside dropped into the 30’s and my wort (in the garage) went down to 54 degrees. I didn’t get the FTSs with heating, just cooling. I have read that safale-05 works into the lower 50’s so I left it. After that third day, all activity seemed to stop. I waited another few days and took SG. Reading was 1.030. A few days later, another reading still at 1.030. That’s not a very far drop from 1.064. I do not have any more yeast on hand and it would take a while to get here. It has only been 10 days, and I’ve never kegged before 3 weeks in a fermenter. Should I call it though? Or see if anything changes? The wort was in the mid-50’s for a couple days, and has been in the mid- to low-60’s since. Kinda bummed. I was looking forward to a 6.8%, and now it’s probably gonna be 4.5% at best.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone have good experiences getting safale 05 via Amazon? I’ve always bought it at LHBS and put in the fridge as soon as I got home. I’m somewhat worried that while shipping, the temps might render the yeast useless. But I would like to possibly get some yeast and hops in bulk, store in the garage fridge and freezer. Thoughts?

Not enough info. What was the initial fermenting temp? All-grain or extract? Stout, pale, brown ale?

I'm inclined to say that the drop in temp caused the yeast to go night-night. Rouse the yeast and put it on heat and it will likely ferment more. Low 50s is pretty low.

I've gotten dry yeast from Amazon before. No complaints here.

Kölsch, all-grain, and initial ferm temp was 66. I don’t have a way to heat it up. It was only in the 50’s for two days... back up to mid-60’s after that, but I don’t have a way to heat it any higher. I take readings with both a refractometer and a hydrometer to back it up.

On the iPhone, if you hold down the “o” for a sec on your keyboard, options come up for other o’s... like the umlaut. You slide your finger to the one you want before letting go.

Screen shot:
upload_2020-4-12_15-43-16.png

Back