Stone Go To IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So maybe I am missing something, but this is not a good beer. Very thin with a harsh bitterness and not much hop flavor or nose for my palate. Could even call it a touch of soapy? Maybe I am just not a fan of the hops used. Anyone know what they use for the hop burst?

Am I missing something? Did I just get a poorly handled pack?

If this is a decent example of a session IPA maybe I will stay clear of them from now on.

Maybe my palate is broken. All the sites have this beer rated really high.

From the descriptions I am reading it looks like I got a portly handled six pack.

I get almost zero hop aroma and the bitterness is very sharp not smooth like described.

Sounds pretty spot on to me. Stone is one of those names that people will rate highly before even tasting the beer.

I've had that beer many times, and the aroma is huge. It's dry hopped at levels usually reserved for double IPAs, so if you're getting no aroma, something is off. As far as varieties, it's mostly Citra, Mosaic, and El Dorado.

For me, it's just another "session IPA" Which is category of beer I really don't care for. Most taste like extremely bitter hop water. After tasting a bunch of different commercial examples, I gave up. It might be the best in class session IPA, but still not very good overall. Where are people's palates? Not only that, but here it costs $12 a six pack. Total ripoff for a 4.5% beer. It's too bad they replaced their pale ale with this.

Sounds pretty spot on to me. Stone is one of those names that people will rate highly before even tasting the beer.

I could see that, but I would expect it to be drinkable at least.

I've had that beer many times, and the aroma is huge. It's dry hopped at levels usually reserved for double IPAs, so if you're getting no aroma, something is off. As far as varieties, it's mostly Citra, Mosaic, and El Dorado.

There was a decent aroma when I first cracked open the bottle, but it faded pretty quickly.

Date is 5/13/15 so plenty fresh.

For me, it's just another "session IPA" Which is category of beer I really don't care for. Most taste like extremely bitter hop water. After tasting a bunch of different commercial examples, I gave up. It might be the best in class session IPA, but still not very good overall. Where are people's palates? Not only that, but here it costs $12 a six pack. Total ripoff for a 4.5% beer. It's too bad they replaced their pale ale with this.

Bitter hop water is a great way to describe what I tasted. I don't mind paying $12 a sixer, pretty normal here in AK, but I would expect much better from a major brewery.

That's definitely a criticism of the style. Go To, I think, is particular susceptible to it, though any sub-5% beer is going to be on the thin side. I personally really enjoy Flying Dog's session IPA. It has more body. Pinner from Oskar Blues is really nice as well. But I don't think the style's popularity is an indictment of peoples' palates. Some really just want a hop punch in a way that they can knock back a few and still be coherent. Most breweries really lay off the bittering additions in these beers.

I had some around a year ago during a brew session. I liked it, I can recall a massive aroma, a little lighter on body, but nothing that turned me off. Now I want to go pick some up this weekend and try it again.

So maybe I am missing something, but this is not a good beer. Very thin with a harsh bitterness and not much hop flavor or nose for my palate. Could even call it a touch of soapy? Maybe I am just not a fan of the hops used. Anyone know what they use for the hop burst?

If this is a decent example of a session IPA maybe I will stay clear of them from now on.

I had a similar experience when i tried it. At the time, I had just learned of hop bursting and was super excited when this beer arrived at the store. Then total disappointment.

I agree that most Session IPAs just don't have the balance that a regular IPA can. That said, I love Founders All Day, and just had Oskar Blues Pinner last week, and it is also phenomenal.

That's definitely a criticism of the style. Go To, I think, is particular susceptible to it, though any sub-5% beer is going to be on the thin side. I personally really enjoy Flying Dog's session IPA. It has more body. Pinner from Oskar Blues is really nice as well. But I don't think the style's popularity is an indictment of peoples' palates. Some really just want a hop punch in a way that they can knock back a few and still be coherent. Most breweries really lay off the bittering additions in these beers.

Im open to trying other examples of the style. I would enjoy a hop filled session beer, but thus beer was harshly bitter to me with not much flavor.

I had some around a year ago during a brew session. I liked it, I can recall a massive aroma, a little lighter on body, but nothing that turned me off. Now I want to go pick some up this weekend and try it again.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it if you try it again.

I had a similar experience when i tried it. At the time, I had just learned of hop bursting and was super excited when this beer arrived at the store. Then total disappointment.

I agree that most Session IPAs just don't have the balance that a regular IPA can. That said, I love Founders All Day, and just had Oskar Blues Pinner last week, and it is also phenomenal.

Good to know I am not alone in how I reacted to this brew. Guess it just isn't my cup o hops.

Pinner has been mentioned a couple times. I'll have to try and track that one down.

You hit the nail on the head – I also found this beer thin, over-bittered, and just generally out-of-whack (and not in that good IPA way we've all come to know and love!).

I wouldn't condemn the whole style, though – the tasty, well-balanced commercial session ale does exist! Drake's does a pair of them, Alpha and Omega, one hoppy, the other dark and malty, and both quite good – although, I don't think they even distribute to all of California, so, you might be hard-pressed to find them up in Alaska. 21st Amendment's Bitter American is also eminently drinkable, although it started life as a British-style bitter and was remarketed as a session ale when the craze hit – which is fine, it's still tasty, but it's clearly a bitter (with that style's usual sessionable ABV), and not much of an IPA per se. I also seem to recall liking Lagunitas' Daytime IPA, but it's been a while since I've had one, so, I don't have any tasting notes off the top of my head.

I'm not a fan of the style at all, I find all session IPAs to be very thin. That being said, Stone's definitely had a lot of hop aroma and flavor to it when I tried it. I can't imagine the long boat ride up to AK is very kind to hoppy beers, though, and I would think a session IPA would be more susceptible to mishandling.

I don't mind it. Definitely thinner, but I find the hop flavor to be more than adequate. If I had a complaint, I would say it's a bit grassy for my tastes.

Have you ever tried hop bursting/whirlpool hopping large hop quantities yourself? Have you enjoyed the results?

Have you ever tried hop bursting/whirlpool hopping large hop quantities yourself? Have you enjoyed the results?

My current IPA gets (per 10gal) 7.5oz hops in the last 15min, another 4oz in the whirlpool, and 7oz dry hopped. I can say this is by far my favorite and best IPA I have brewed to date. Def not a session beer though.

No, this is not a good beer.

It's not. Founder's All Day, FW Easy Jack, Oskar Blues Pinner are all GREAT.

I'm a fan of the session IPA for the reasons mentioned. Sometime I want a hop kick but don't want a heavy beer. Or sometime I want to drink a few and not feel wrecked.

I agree that GoTo is a bit harsh on the bitterness and that Firestone Walker's Easy Jack is a phenomenal representation of the style, too. I'm also a big fan of Lagunitas' DayTime.

I'd have to check my Untapped account to see which others I've had but these two stand out IMO.

So you are telling me to drink this weekend? Ok ok, consider my arm twisted, Ill do it. :mug:

Way to take one for the team. :mug:

I don't mind it. Definitely thinner, but I find the hop flavor to be more than adequate. If I had a complaint, I would say it's a bit grassy for my tastes.

I have not tried hop bursting yet. My brew buddy and I don't brew a lot of IPAs, but I may add one to the to brew list so we can try out this technique. I love a good IPA, but he isn't a big fan so we don't brew them very often.

No, this is not a good beer.

It's not. Founder's All Day, FW Easy Jack, Oskar Blues Pinner are all GREAT.

Ill have to try and find them next time i am in Anchorage.

I'm a fan of the session IPA for the reasons mentioned. Sometime I want a hop kick but don't want a heavy beer. Or sometime I want to drink a few and not feel wrecked.

I agree that GoTo is a bit harsh on the bitterness and that Firestone Walker's Easy Jack is a phenomenal representation of the style, too. I'm also a big fan of Lagunitas' DayTime.

I'd have to check my Untapped account to see which others I've had but these two stand out IMO.

Sounds like i just need to find some of the other options in this style. I should be able to find Firestone or Lagunitas' up here.

Ill have to try and find them next time i am in Anchorage.

Sounds like i just need to find some of the other options in this style. I should be able to find Firestone or Lagunitas' up here.

Well, if you cant find Founders, I can get it all day down here (see what I did there:rockin:) so I would be willing to ship some up for some Alaskan Brewing Co beer. And/or for some Firestone Walker, as I cannot get any here.

I love Stone, but session IPAs aren't for me. I'd rather have an APA, frankly.

Honestly, Levitation was a better beer than Go To, but sales trumps all, so good by old session ale, hello new one.

Greg Koch could piss in a bottle and it would be perceived by the masses as cutting edge beer...A majority of Stone's beers are exceptional but not all deserve the 99 ratings! I think they are a bit inflated. Respect to Stone but there are Many great breweries out there!

Are you drinking it out of the bottle? Try a glass.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware/

Just had the second one out of the six pack, both this one and the first were out of a glass. I will admit this one was better than the first. Still not a good beer for me. Thin and harshly bitter.

I agree the 90% of Stone's beers are very deserving of their praise. This just isn't one of those for me.

Again maybe this pack suffered from bad handling, but it appears a few others share my thoughts.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I ended up muscling through the 6 pack over the weekend since I paid 12 bucks for it.

Ballast Point Even Keel is my go to Session IPA right now. As a matter of fact...I'll be back later. I have 2 that are calling my name. Who cares if they're in cans!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I ended up muscling through the 6 pack over the weekend since I paid 12 bucks for it.

Ballast Point Even Keel is my go to Session IPA right now. As a matter of fact...I'll be back later. I have 2 that are calling my name. Who cares if they're in cans!

I'm two beers in to mine and will finish the pack. Just bummed that with a $12+ six pack I have to force myself to finish it.

Guess they can't all be winners.

GoTo is not the best example of the style IMHO. I loved Green Flash Citra Session IPA, unfortunately that one's a seasonal only. I tried GoTo last week and I found it had not enough body to counterbalance the hops. I'll have to try it again in summer though, it might be a better fit when served ice cold on a painfully hot summer day.

Honestly, Levitation was a better beer than Go To, but sales trumps all, so good by old session ale, hello new one.

Amen bruva! On both accounts!

Isn't thin somewhat what you would like in a session ipa? Also the aroma is very apparent that's weird u didn't get any?

Isn't thin somewhat what you would like in a session ipa? Also the aroma is very apparent that's weird u didn't get any?

I think you do want a lighter bodied beer in a session beer, but to me this was like overly bitter hop water. There just isn't anything there to balance with the bitterness. I love a good hop blasted IPA, but for me this is borderline undrinkable.

The second glass did have a bit more aroma, and tasted a bit better for the first few sips, but quickly became hard to finish.

I had GoTo on draft a while back and I remember it being pretty tasty.

I'd have to say Pinner is my favorite of the session IPAs I've tried, tho. Had one from the can, and another poured into a glass. I thought it tasted better straight from the can.

I just came across this today. The Levitation recipe direct from Stone.
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/03/exclusive-stone-beer-shares-recipe-for-discontinue.html

Back