Stone Brewing announces hotel and massive expansion plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasdb

Reaction score
I found this article very interesting. Lately I've been reading articles about nanobreweries and how others have started, grew and remain successful.

As much as I love Stone's beers, I fear an $11 million expansion may be a bit much.

Think about this, part of the expansion is giving them the ability to grow from 150,000 bbls a year to 500,000 bbls a year!!!

Hopefully they aren't getting too big for their britches.

Here is the article:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/may/18/stone-brewing-announces-hotel-plans/

Following in the steps of Budweiser! haha jk, but Adolphus Busch did build a Hotel in Dallas

150,000 to 500,000 bbls a year is what shocked me!!!

A 40-50 room hotel was also shocking.

IMO 20-30 room hotel and maybe doubling your production to 300,000 bbls a year would still shock me but would be more realistic.

perhaps they won't be making the immediate jump to 500k barrels and are simply expanding enough to allow room for future growth?

they are pretty good about QC and making sure they don't expand into new markets where their product quality will suffer from logistical or distribution issues - i'd hope they wish to maintain that

Maybe with the increase in production, we will get a distributer in Iowa so i can get a taste finally.

I didn't read the article, but the OP said the ABILITY to go to 500,000. That's capacity, not production I'd guess.

We had the announcement here in the local paper a few weeks ago. They are opening a new brew pub at the old San Diego Naval Training Center (now Liberty Station) in one of the old buildings there. It's in the right part of town and now instead of driving 30+ miles, I only have to go 5 - WINNER!!

The walls of every room will be covered in very tiny, self-masturbatory language detailing how truly awesome Stone beer is. And there will be way, way too many hops in everything.

:)

(Yea, if there's anyone from Stone on this board, this is, of course, all in good fun!)

Oh I feel bad for the states that dont distribute Stone but hopefully this expansion will change that.

I don't think this is a bad thing for Stone at all and I'm very happy for them and their success.

I live about 45 minutes away from the brewery in Escondido and one of the announcements I'm happiest about is their new Tasting Room/Merchandise store their opening in the South Park area of San Diego. This means I only have to drive about 10 minutes down the highway to get my growlers filled!! :rockin:

Just because a brewery is expanding doesnt mean theyre selling out. Businesses expand, thats what they do. This is one step in the right direction for everyone

I always thought a brewpub and "bed & breakfast" would be a neat idea, especially some place like Vermont, Washington State, somewhere pretty in the Smokey Mtns.. etc. what better than a day of hiking, fishing, or just hanging out and then a great meal at a pub, a few or more pints, then stumble over to the b&b to crash.

A big hotel? meh

The location of the hotel is not in an area where i would think you'd want to stay. It's pretty industrial and it's not really close to anything other than the brewery.

I'm happy for them, moving down to actual San Diego makes it a much closer drive to get a growler fill for me. However, the food at the restaurant is so/so, I haven't found anyone who raves about it.

I was out at the brewery a month or two ago and saw all the new tanks so I can believe they are tripling capacity. The thing that amazes me is they have only one mash tun/boiler. I guess you can make more efficient use of it since most of the beer is sitting in the tanks but the engineer in me thinks damn single point failure. I guess most smaller breweries only have one setup.

I agree kind of a weird place for a hotel but then again you could enjoy a lot more beer if you knew you didn't have to drive home. Is the Liberty Station pub open yet? I'll be out there next month and drive by every day.

I agree kind of a weird place for a hotel but then again you could enjoy a lot more beer if you knew you didn't have to drive home. Is the Liberty Station pub open yet? I'll be out there next month and drive by every day.

Nope, it's not going to open until next year.

The walls of every room will be covered in very tiny, self-masturbatory language detailing how truly awesome Stone beer is. And there will be way, way too many hops in everything.

:)

(Yea, if there's anyone from Stone on this board, this is, of course, all in good fun!)

Wow, I seriously thought that I was going to be the one to post a quip like this. Beat me to it :p

I always thought a brewpub and "bed & breakfast" would be a neat idea, especially some place like Vermont, Washington State, somewhere pretty in the Smokey Mtns.. etc. what better than a day of hiking, fishing, or just hanging out and then a great meal at a pub, a few or more pints, then stumble over to the b&b to crash.

A big hotel? meh
Forget a Bed and Breakfast...Beer, Bed and (a late) Breakfast...

wreals said:
Nope, it's not going to open until next year.

I thought the article said the hotel wouldn't be open till 2013. I may have misread but I thought it was further out than just 1 year.

I agree kind of a weird place for a hotel...

The thing about the location is there's a brand new level 1 trauma hospital (Palomar West, if you must) being built literally next door to Stone's current location...so when you have too much & go wrecking your SUV in an attempt to get back to Stone Hotel, you're all set! :p

Where is the hotel location exactly? And I thought I heard that they would open smaller locations to fill up growlers and such, is that true ?

hops2it said:
Maybe with the increase in production, we will get a distributer in Iowa so i can get a taste finally.

Hyvee in the quad cities has it.

I thought the article said the hotel wouldn't be open till 2013. I may have misread but I thought it was further out than just 1 year.

This.

But the North Park location is supposed to open this month some time, so you can get your growler/keg fills there.

They said on the press day that Stone is the #3 tourist destination in North County, so it makes sense to open a hotel and offer up other activities. I bet they will have tours of other breweries along the magic 78 corridor!
:mug:

Happy for all the big news coming out of stone as I love their brew but man they have got to do something about their service there. I'm currently working on the hospital next door and after a few times of extremely lack luster service my buddies and i much rather make the short drive up the street to churchills

CompassBrewing said:
Happy for all the big news coming out of stone as I love their brew but man they have got to do something about their service there. I'm currently working on the hospital next door and after a few times of extremely lack luster service my buddies and i much rather make the short drive up the street to churchills

Yeah I never enjoyed going to the brewery not my crowd , I think they are trying to be to fancy in my opinion . I like the beer they make but not the fancy image they go for

aerialmedical said:
I also heard they're working on a miniature golf course....sick, huh?

Beer and golf have always been a great combo.

Beer and mini golf... I fear the clown may get his head ripped off (Happy Gilmore flashback) by some drunken idiot!

Back