Stirring must during primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betterale

Reaction score
My wine is fermenting in the primary stage at the moment some say I should stir it every day, is this correct?

Anytime I've make wine using fruit I've had to "punch the cap" down several times a day. Most recently I was using grapes and was punching the cap down 4 times a day for the first few days and 3 times a day there after until fermentation was complete (~7 days for total fermentation). The object is to keep the fruit wet and loose in the juice solution so the yeast can consume it and so bad stuff doesn't grow on it, not to pulverize the fruit.

I've only made 2 batches of fruit wine prior to these grapes so I'm still very new to this as well. However, this time with >$150 invested in grapes alone I decided I needed to "get me read on" and learn a bit more about this so I don't screw it up :D . Good luck with your wine!!

Back