Stirplates revisited

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonLiguori

Reaction score
I've come across several threads for various stir plate projects, but I've got a few questions left before I commence my build:

1) Has anyone tried including a heat plate to keep the yeast t a happy 65-70 degrees? It would seem like an easy addition, especially given the heat output of the voltage regulator in the setup in the first place.

2)I can't shake the feeling that I've just scrapped a perfectly good 1 Gig HDD from my first computer (which I loved ever-so-dearly) and am not using it to it's full potential.

I have in my hands a 12v brushless motor from the disk spindle and a perfectly smooth palette to place the magnets on that would seem to be perfect for the plate... but does anyone know how to wire a system that could use a potentiometer on a HDD spindle drive? I have no idea when it comes to electronics, but would love to see this thing back in motion.

From Wolfenstein 3D to a perfect yeast pitch!

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

I've come across several threads for various stir plate projects, but I've got a few questions left before I commence my build:

1) Has anyone tried including a heat plate to keep the yeast t a happy 65-70 degrees? It would seem like an easy addition, especially given the heat output of the voltage regulator in the setup in the first place.

2)I can't shake the feeling that I've just scrapped a perfectly good 1 Gig HDD from my first computer (which I loved ever-so-dearly) and am not using it to it's full potential.

I have in my hands a 12v brushless motor from the disk spindle and a perfectly smooth palette to place the magnets on that would seem to be perfect for the plate... but does anyone know how to wire a system that could use a potentiometer on a HDD spindle drive? I have no idea when it comes to electronics, but would love to see this thing back in motion.

From Wolfenstein 3D to a perfect yeast pitch!

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Adding heat isn't an issue for me being in Fl, but I don't see it being too difficult. Probably better off keeping it in a room that is at least 65 deg

You are going to want to pull a cooling fan out of that PC. Like the 80mm deal in your power supply. Hard drive spindles are designed for RPMs not torque. You do want to grab the rare earth magnet out of that puppy though. When the fan is couple to the stir bar it puts quite a load on the fan motor. If it ever tosses the stir bar you'll see what I mean.

good luck!

Yeah, I kinda figured that was how it was going to be. I have the PC fan ready to roll, just hate wasting material that seems even better suited for the job, you know? I guess now I have a stepping motor to play with for some other purpose. Not that I have any idea how to properly wire a circuit for it!

Hey, on the subject of stir plates, has anyone ever used a growler on the plate instead of an Erlenmeyer flask? I know the fluid dynamics would be changed in the different shape glassware, but if anyone has tried it with success, that'd really save me some time and money. Not hat i don't love Chemistry glassware as much as the next guy.

Hey, on the subject of stir plates, has anyone ever used a growler on the plate instead of an Erlenmeyer flask? I know the fluid dynamics would be changed in the different shape glassware, but if anyone has tried it with success, that'd really save me some time and money. Not hat i don't love Chemistry glassware as much as the next guy.

I've built starters up from the yeast cake in the bottom of one of my beers, and even used a squared-off mason jar with water to see if the different shape would still work. The domed bottom makes it a little tricky, but it works.

I actually used a flower vase for my first starter batch.

I think more than the shape of the glassware, having a flat bottom on that sucker is the key to not throwing the stir bar.

CIMG1400.jpg

Business card case. I liked the transparent and hinged top which makes adjustments a breeze and best of all, it was free!

CIMG1402.jpg

Oooh, cool blue power switch. :rockin: This is with a liter of water. I still had a little more on the potentiometer to go to 11 (but it's not really needed).

CIMG1317.jpg

With the yeasties in suspension.

Back