Stir the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saprobic

Reaction score
I have my first batch in the primary. Just wondering if I should stir it while in the primary or not. I am brewing a hard lemonade and its been in the primary for 1 day.
Thanks all.

Just substitute Hard Lemonade for Beer, and you'll know what to do.....
Stepaway_copy.jpg

Normally, for beer you wouldn't. But for wine, meads, and hard lemonade, you would. In primary, you'd ditch the airlock and just cover the primary with a clean towel, and stir for at least the first three days.

What recipe are you following? Hard lemonade is my toughest ferment, so make sure you baby that yeast!

Hey Yooper thanks for the reply. I am actually using a recipe that I believe was modified from one of yours.
I have tried to baby the yeast and things seems to be moving along. Just over 24 hours so far and definitly have activity.
Cheers

Hey Yooper thanks for the reply. I am actually using a recipe that I believe was modified from one of yours.
I have tried to baby the yeast and things seems to be moving along. Just over 24 hours so far and definitly have activity.
Cheers

Great! You can stir if you want, especially if it starts to slow down, up to twice a day. After it hits 1.030 or less in SG, then you can make sure it stays airlocked and stop stirring and make sure you do any transfers "quietly", via siphon. It starts tasting really good at 1.025ish!

Latest posts

Back