Stir plate recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchar19

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking for a recommendation for a stir plate that is powerful enough for Lager starters (3-4 liters). Any suggestions?

Here's what I have off of Amazon. Cheap. Works https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-sti...ords=anzeser+stir+plate&qid=1601605683&sr=8-3

This is the second cheap china stir plate I've gotten. The trick is to 'water proof' by putting a baggie over it. I had bought a different cheap chinese brand before, and I'm 99% sure all of the cheap ones come out of the same factory. Anyhoo, first one probably got some condensation inside the knob and died on me.

This one has probably done 50 batches so far and works fine for the basics. It does a 2 liter erlenmeyer starter no problem.

Photo of it in action with 34/70 yeast and the waterproof option.
1601606061864.png

I've had one of the "cheapo" foreign made homebrew stirplates before and did not like the quality, light, smaller than a large flask and would throw bars. I ended up buying a much higher quality used one on ebay for about the same price (a Fisher Thermix 610T.... however this was 7 years ago I'm sure there are different used models now). If I was going to buy another I'd look used again.

.....and resized this was a resurrected 2011 thread too late.

@jddevinn don't worry about posting to a 9 year old thread. I just posted a new 'stir plate recommendation' thread so as long as I get some suggestions I'm happy. Never thought about ebay, i'll head on over there. Cheers!

Back