Stir Plate / Heat Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billr1

Reaction score
After a year or so of semi-loyal service my home-made computer-fan stir plate seems to be on it's last leg. Rather than cobble another one together I was thinking I might spring for a commercially made one. While looking on eBay I noticed that a lot of the ones made for laboratory work also double as a hot plate. As luck would have it, the hot plate we use to boil DME for starters and corn sugar for bottling recently took a dump.
My question is, does anyone know if these stirring/heating plates generate enough heat to boil a solution? Or are they just meant to keep a solution warm? It would be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

I have one of these and yes, it gets hot enough to boil water. The problem I have is that the ceramic top stays hot for a long time. Longer than I care to wait to pitch yeast most of the time. I can my starter wort now in mason jars so they wort is always sterile and at pitching temp. Much better to invest in a pressure cooker and a cheap stir plate than a fancy lab-grade stir-hot plate combo.

Back