stir brett-covered fruit into beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
My first attempt at using Brett is well underway. I added a vial of Brett c. about two months ago along with some cranberries to a beer that already went through primary fermentation (with a wine yeast). There is nice white growth all over the beer and cranberries now (see pic below). It almost seems like the fruit has formed a cap on top of the beer and that the Brett is forming a pellicle on the fruit and not the beer itself. Is this keeping the Brett character out of the beer? Should I stir all this up and mix everything into the beer? Or should I just let it sit for a few more months as is? Also, I've read about waiting until the pellicle drops, but with all the cranberries there, will the pellicle every actually drop? Thanks for any insights/advice. :mug:

brett_on_cranberries.jpg

brett_on_cranberries_close.jpg

I just gotta say... That looks really cool! Wait till pellicle is done and lets go of the fruit. Should take some time for that to happen, but it "should" happen. What temp are you at?
Cheers
Jay

I just gotta say... That looks really cool! Wait till pellicle is done and lets go of the fruit. Should take some time for that to happen, but it "should" happen. What temp are you at?
Cheers
Jay

I have to agree it's pretty cool watching this whole process unfold. Especially since I would cringe to see that stuff growing on my other beers!

I have this brew down in the cellar which is sitting at about 65F - but it is going to keep warming up as we progress through spring and into summer.

What temp "should" I keep it at?

The funny thing is trying to get people to drink it after they see the pictures...LOL

Temp? Kind of depends on the "funk" you want. 68* is a good all round temp.

The funny thing is trying to get people to drink it after they see the pictures...LOL

Temp? Kind of depends on the "funk" you want. 68* is a good all round temp.

I showed the pics to the owner of my LHBS and he told me to never bring him a sample of that beer. I wasn't sure if it grossed him out or if he didn't want it infecting his shop! :drunk:

I think I'll leave the beer alone for now. Maybe give it another month or so before racking it into an aging vessel. Might add some oak I have soaking in some red wine.

He's an idiot if he thinks it's going to infect his shop. The grains he sells are covered in the exact same organisms.

maskednegator said:
He's an idiot if he thinks it's going to infect his shop. The grains he sells are covered in the exact same organisms.

He wasn't really worried about that. Just trying to be funny.

Back