Still not sure...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBrewHawk

Reaction score
So tomorrow is bottling day on my American wheat. I asked this question before, but I'm still not really sure. I plan on bottling the first half of the batch as is, and adding raspberry extract to the 2nd half. The question is how much ras. extract should I add? So the bottle of extract is 4 oz... the response I got on here was about 1.25 oz for 2.5 gal. I thought that seemed reasonable, but I saw another recipe kit that included 1 oz for a 5 gal. batch. The bottle of extract itself says to use it as 1% or 3-4 oz's of the batch. I just want it to be subtle but still noticeable, and I don't know if I can trust my taste with warm, uncarbed beer. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you can, you can pull a measured amount (say 4 ozs), cool it, and then add extract by a graduated medicine dropper to get the flavor profile you want. Then you can back calculate how much you want.

I'm in the same boat as you, not trusting my taste, but in the end it's your beer. Flavor it to your tastes.

Dissovled CO2 will make the beer more acidic, btw.

I'm not sure how much of it to add. But I would use a light hand for sure, it could be pretty nasty if you overdo it. I'd probably take the lowest recommendation, then cut it in half.

I used 1 oz. in a 5 gallon stout recipe and it was very noticable, not subtle. At the time I got what I wanted. A little goes a long way. I would say a little less than half an ounce for subtle.

Back