Still have Krauzen in primary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevcasey

Reaction score
I brewed an AHS extract kit for a Troegs Hopback Amber Ale about 10 days ago and still have a pretty hefty layer of krauzen in my primary. The recipe calls for dry hopping and I was wondering what to do if the krauzen just will not go down. How long should I wait before racking to secondary and dry hopping? Is it common to rack while there is still a lot of krauzen or should I just wait it out?

Thanks!

Do you have activity in your airlock? I usually brew on mondays, pitch and then leave for a week to work and return on the following thursday. By that time, my activity is pretty much done and I rack to the secondary. I know this prolly isnt relevant to you or your situation, but that gives me 10 days of ferm time. If your still have airlock activity, I would let it be until you have one burp or less per minute. Every beer is different. I have brewed the exact same beer two times and had different ferm times for each. Let the beer decide when it's time to move out of the primary and into the secondary. Yeast are good little workers, but you can't pay them to work faster.

Take hydrometer readings. I've had yeast that just wouldn't drop even after a month. 10 days is nothing.

No airlock activity, that stopped after 5 days in primary. I'll just check it less and get back to work on my kegerator. Thanks!

Back