Still fermenting or something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcervin

Reaction score
So heres another fermentation question I'm sure you've all heard a thousand times before but here goes... I brewed a hefe a week an a half ago. I used white labs hefe yeast pitched directly into the wort with no starter. The yeast went nuts for three days hen died down. I racked to a secondary because I wanted to free up my 6 1/2 gallon bucket for another beer. I checked gravity on Monday and it was still a bit high. Checked tonight and it was where it's supposed to be according to the recipe. The weird thing is that my airlock is still bubbling. Is this additional fermentation or something else? CO2 etc? Should I let it keep going or throw it in bottles? Thanks guys for the help

1. bubbles are nice, but hydrometer readings are key to answer your question. What is OG? and FG? Changes in gravity day to day indicate the fermenation is still going...

2. Have you been perfectly temperature stable? If the temps drop, the disolved CO2 comes out of solution and that could be what you are seeing.

The OG was 1.059 and the FG is supposed to be 1.02. Today it was dead on at 1.02. As far as temps go it has actually increased roughly 5 degrees around the fermentor due to the nice weather lately. Should I just take hydro readings for a few more days and bottle if they don't change?

Back