Still fermenting mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catfishhoward

Reaction score
I have a 8 month old raspberry mead that is still slowly fermenting or stopped I think, it's at 1.020 and I have to get ride of it since I'm moving and getting rid of all my wine making stuff.

Question: Can I drink it now?

Last edited:
Of course you can drink it. I will be a sweet dessert wine, but many people like very sweet wine. I do from time to time.

Thanks for the reply, just didn't know about drinking fermenting yeast if it would make you sick or not.
It will not make you sick unless you have a sensitivity to the yeast which is very rare. Worst it will do is give you a stomach flu like yuck.

It will not make you sick unless you have a sensitivity to the yeast which is very rare. Worst it will do is give you a stomach flu like yuck.
Thanks for the reply, I have some in a 16 o/z bottle I will give it a try before my mom comes down for mothers day so I at least don't poison her.

People have been eating/drinking fermented/fermenting foods from ages, it won't kill or do anything nasty. If you are too concerned, pasteurise it using hot dip method. In my opinion, no harm in drinking it.

But there is a difference between eating fermented and fermenting foods and eating yeast. Many people find that the consumption of large quantities of active yeast does a number to their gut and they end up sitting on the crapper over the next few hours. Not just yeast, of course: anyone who suddenly tries to consume large volumes of "probiotics" might want to make sure that they are close to a toilet until their system has acclimatized to the influx of strange flora and fauna. But the amount of active yeast in a glass or two of still- fermenting wine is very little.

Thank you for enlightening me. Perhaps the quantities could make a difference. I’ve never had this experience but that could be due to the quantity factor. People do drink champagne but quantity isn’t usually too much.

But there is a difference between eating fermented and fermenting foods and eating yeast. Many people find that the consumption of large quantities of active yeast does a number to their gut and they end up sitting on the crapper over the next few hours. Not just yeast, of course: anyone who suddenly tries to consume large volumes of "probiotics" might want to make sure that they are close to a toilet until their system has acclimatized to the influx of strange flora and fauna. But the amount of active yeast in a glass or two of still- fermenting wine is very little.
I'll let you know tomorrow how it does on my stomach, hopefully not to graphic bathroom details, I have a 16 o/z bottle chilling for later tonight.

Back