Wanting to start a mead…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwalker17

Reaction score
So I have tried distillation before, and LOVED it!!! It is now unsafe due to an accident for me to run a still, so I decided to try wine! Found something called “honey wine” and realized it was mead!!!! *so excited*

Now I have several questions regarding honey types, different yeasts (I personally prefer red star wine yeast), fermenting techniques for best flavor, well… pretty much anything!

So I have tried distillation before, and LOVED it!!! It is now unsafe due to an accident for me to run a still, so I decided to try wine! Found something called “honey wine” and realized it was mead!!!! *so excited*

Now I have several questions regarding honey types, different yeasts (I personally prefer red star wine yeast), fermenting techniques for best flavor, well… pretty much anything!
Basic tip is better ingredients give better products, any specific questions we can answer or some direction we can start with would help to point you in the right direction.

A few basic starters for you in the wide open and general sense:
1.) Honey, varietals with subtle flavor and aroma are better in traditional meads and less aromatic honey for meads that will be masked by fruit or other adjuncts.
2.) Yeast, dry or wet, look at fermentation temperature range, abv tolerance, and whether it gives esters or accentuates flavors, whether it leaves the final product neutral etc. Try to match what your looking for in a final mead product, try all sorts of yeast in a traditional and you will better taste or smell what the yeast contributes in the end.
3.) Techniques, you can combine/set/forget, there are different SNA practices, follow tried and true recipes to the letter to see the effect they have. A set and forget beginner mead would be JAOM (Joe's Ancient Orange Mead) and a well documented and finely tuned recipe would be like a BOMM (Bray's One Month Mead)
4.) Also think about basic equipment to help get started, the first 2 pieces should be sanitizer and a triple scale hydrometer with graduated cylinder. The ability to check the gravity (sugar level) of you must and also using sanitary equipment when contacting your must are the most important in my honest opinion. Everything after that simply accrues to make life easier as you need it.

Anything specific you are looking for and we are glad to help. Cheers

Basic tip is better ingredients give better products, any specific questions we can answer or some direction we can start with would help to point you in the right direction.

A few basic starters for you in the wide open and general sense:
1.) Honey, varietals with subtle flavor and aroma are better in traditional meads and less aromatic honey for meads that will be masked by fruit or other adjuncts.
2.) Yeast, dry or wet, look at fermentation temperature range, abv tolerance, and whether it gives esters or accentuates flavors, whether it leaves the final product neutral etc. Try to match what your looking for in a final mead product, try all sorts of yeast in a traditional and you will better taste or smell what the yeast contributes in the end.
3.) Techniques, you can combine/set/forget, there are different SNA practices, follow tried and true recipes to the letter to see the effect they have. A set and forget beginner mead would be JAOM (Joe's Ancient Orange Mead) and a well documented and finely tuned recipe would be like a BOMM (Bray's One Month Mead)
4.) Also think about basic equipment to help get started, the first 2 pieces should be sanitizer and a triple scale hydrometer with graduated cylinder. The ability to check the gravity (sugar level) of you must and also using sanitary equipment when contacting your must are the most important in my honest opinion. Everything after that simply accrues to make life easier as you need it.

Anything specific you are looking for and we are glad to help. Cheers
Thank you!!! I’m looking for information regarding honey types (also yeast types when paired with those honeys).
Considering I have no desire to make traditional mead, perhaps a braggot using something similar to shock-top or a ”wheat beer” mead.

Last edited:
Honey is one of the most adulterated food products out there.

Most grocery store Honey has Agave or High Fructose syrup added to it.

With that said, I think a less expensive wildflower would be good or maybe Clover honey. No need to use a nice varietal that will be buried behind hops and malt.

Clover honey or wildflower honey tends to be inexpensive and all other things considered, those honeys cannot do a one -man show. They are spear carriers , in my opinion. For a bigger bang for your buck, ferment using those cheaper honeys and back sweeten using a more expensive varietal.
Most of the "information" on the interwebs about bochet is less than CRAP. Honey is comprised of a variety of sugar. Some caramelize at 230 F , (fructose) and some caramelize at 320 F.(sucrose and gluctose) You over heat your honey and you have burnt toast. The taste is not dissimilar. Use a thermometer to monitor cooking your honey and not color or guess work. Heat honey and it can more than double in volume when hot. If you are heating a gallon of honey (12 lbs), a three gallon pot may be large enough. Of course, if you have an oven and the oven temps are reliable, you can set the oven to the temperature you want and allow the honey to cook. You still need to monitor how it expands unless you enjoy cleaning up the mess, but as a brewer you know how a wort can behave even at 160 F.

Back