Still fermenting after 12 days? First AG batch..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJoeBrews

Reaction score
Need a little help with my Blue moon clone...
This is my first all grain kit I brewed on Dec 29and my OG was 1.057.. Seems high to me? I have a 10 gal round with SS braid and I fly sparged. Tasted great, very sweet. So I continued on...
It has been a vigorous ferment, and 13 days later it's still bubbling every 5 seconds or so. But I want to transfer soon, so I checked my SG and its 1.032. Is this ok? It seems like I have a long way to go? Taste seems like its on course...
Should I bother with a secondary?
I really want to get my spring beers going....
I just know I'm gonna get a RDWAHAHB for this, but I'm curious if anybody else have seen the likes of this....

Don't rack to secondary if it's still fermenting.

Posting the yeast you used, ferm temps, what type of starter (if any) and other yeast processes you used would be helpful.

If you're fermenting cold, or using a lager yeast, it could take up to 3 weeks to finish.

+1 to the questions damdaman asked.

Its white labs, Belgian Wit Ale yeast, WLP400. Just dumped it right in there no starter. I kinda thought the White labs was in a nutrient or something?
Try and keep it at 70 degrees. after a week, I let the temps settle to 67/68 because I was letting my Rye (in the carboy next to it)clear out.

Temps are good, so it might just be going slow. Nothing you can really do besides giving your carboy or bucket a swirl to kick up some of the yeast that have already flocculated in hopes that they get back to work.

Go buy another fermenter if you are in a hurry. You can't rush the beer. At 057 to 032 I'd guess you have some ways to go yet, depending on yeast. I love having fermentation hanging in there at two weeks. I'd say you have another 2 weeks to go, maybe more, before I would mess with it.

Still has a 2" Krausen on it, gave a quick rock back and forth and it just fired up with a ton of bubbles. now its constantly bubbling again.
On a side note, I am going to try and make this a regular of mine and was thinking of harvesting the yeast. Due to these issues and long fermentation should I stick with this batch of yeast or try again next time. They yeast had a "born on" date in sept.
Either way, I'm getting that yeast fuel next time from AustinHBS. That should curtail this a little.

Due to this being my first time, I was not real familiar with my mash tun yet, so I put 3 gallons in and it settled to about 150. so I really heated the last .5-.75 gallons to bring it up. that temp reading was 156, but I think that it settled to around 152... I was at 151.5 at 30 minute mark and 151 even when I finished.
10 lbs of grain. sheet said I should have been at 1.053, and I was at 1.057.. I couldn't believe that it was that high and thought I may have done something wrong. Any ideas?

hmm, those mash temps are fine, should put you around 1.014ish for a FG. was just worried that being your first you went too high which caused the high FG. hopefully that rousing takes care of the rest for you

1.057 is fine, you just got better efficiency than the kit expected, it tends to happen.

Another note, my krausen got crazy and a lot of it spilled into my blow off water. I literally have trub in my blow off water.. Do you think I may have lost some good yeast soldiers in there? Should I repitch more yeast, or continue on?

Back