Stiff Tap Handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtymartini

Reaction score
I have a question about the taps on my kegerator. I've had the system about a month and after a couple of days of not opening up the tap, it takes quite a pull on the handle to open it up. After the initial pull it opens smoothly....Any ideas?

You have rear sealing faucets. Beer is actually building up and sticking to the o-ring. After you are finished using those faucets for the day, you need to have a spray bottle handy for squirting either water or better yet sanitizer up into the faucet.

Do they look like these?
Freezer_WTaps_1.JPG
Typical issue with those taps.

Solution...don't go more than 24 hours without drinking from each tap. :D

I have the same issues, I always spray sanitizer into the faucet after I'm finished with it but even then I still get sticking. Personally I'm planning to upgrade to Perlick or Ventmatic faucets in the new year (after I finish paying for my shiny new monster mill anyway). I have carpet everywhere around my kegerator and I don't want to find out how many times you can break the tap open before that o-ring won't seal anymore.

A co-worker of mine has two perlicks on his chest freezer. He says they also stick occasionally. I ended up getting 4 regular faucets-they stick, but no leaks yet.

BierMuncher said:
Do they look like these?

Do you ever mix up a 'suicide' just to make sure nothing sticks?:cross:

BierMuncher said:
Do they look like these?
View attachment 3676
Typical issue with those taps.

Yes they do like like that...I'll try to post a picture if I remember how to do it...I like your solution though! Usually they don't go more than 24 hrs!!!

Germey said:
Do you ever mix up a 'suicide' just to make sure nothing sticks?:cross:
It's more like a power run from left to right.

Two ounces...gulp...two ounces...gulp...two ounces...gulp, and so on.

It's just what I need when I walk in the front door from work.

Makes leaving the house in the morning a bit more tolerable too.....:cross:

tuckferrorists said:
I'm totally thread stealing, but BierMuncher how does your Guinness taste coming out of that tap with normal co2?
It tastes pretty good, but there's a bit of a trick to get it smoothed out.

I just drop the glass away from the tap as the beer nears about 3/4 full and let it really "splash" into the glass. This cuases a cascade effect in the beer, very similar to the nitro tap effect, but quicker.

Then I let the beer sit for about 4-5 minutes to warm up. By then it's very creamy and the "thinness" that you get from too much carbonation is gone.

PS - A stout tap is on my x-mas list... ;)

Here's my left to right routine...

Sample1.jpg

Back