Sticky Suggestion: Make your title descriptive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scientifics

Reaction score
I've seen many posts with titles like "New brewer question", etc. This does not make me want to click them. If you want to get more/better responses, create a descriptive title for your post! Please! :mug:

If a new brewer could narrow down the question to specifics like, "Do I need a starter?" or "Do I need to boil top off water?". They would be able to go to Google and type something like....

site:homebrewtalk.com Do I need to boil top off water?

In which case they may find the answers they need before they even ask, rendering a large portion of the forum less than useful. Craziness I know....

I typically hover over the Topic with my mouse to get a small pop-up window that gives me a preface, to say, of the OP's post. Undescriptive topics are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

While being descriptive as possible is helpful, sometimes you have no idea what your asking or the terms associated with it. I try to click on all of the "new brewer" threads in case I can help. Just like everybody did for me when I started out and asked newb questions which were probably not descriptive enough and made little sense!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Another large forum tried to make this a rule. There was even a reminder posted when you hit "new thread". It rarely worked. It made me more aware when I was a newer member on that forum, but it didn't work for everyone. You'd see things like "emergency!!" "disaster!!!" "help!!" The content would be anything but a disaster or an emergency. It is what it is and being descriptive may be helpful, but I think the threads with non-discript thread titles get a fair amount of views. I know I click every single time.

It could be posed as a suggestion, but it may not always be followed.

Latest posts

Back