Stepping Up Orval W/ Maltodextrin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshmallowBlue

Reaction score
Hello, So I'm Looking to step up some Orval Dregs for another Brett Mead. Can I use Maltodextrin in place of DME so the sacc strain can't grow, and just the brett multiplies?

it's hard to say, because we have no idea how many viable cells are in a bottle. i've seen all sorts of estimates.

going conservatively, you could start with a 200 ml starter (stir plate optional, occasional mixing should be fine) then doing a 1.2 liter step... maybe. it's a slightly informed WAG.

Your other option if you have the desire or capacity is to source yourself some cupric sulfate via root killer or pond algacide. Then make an agar plate with some of this and DME and swab your orval yeast. This should kill off the saccharomyces but some belgian strains can grow on cupric sulfate medium. Anyhow the appropriate amount of cupric sulfate per 100ml should be in the neighborhood of .05grams. So the package you'd buy at the store would last you FOREVER unless you need to remove algae from a pond or kill roots haha.

Back