Step Mashing and BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin C

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been brewing quite a few lagers of late. Many traditional lager brewing methods involve step-mashing. This is of course not exclusive to lagers. Other examples of styles where step-mashing is traditionally used include Hefeweizen and Altbier.

There are reasons to incorporating a step mash into your brew-day. Equally there are plenty of well-versed and respected home-brewers that will argue there is little benefit if any, to using one. The purpose of this post is merely to illustrate the process, not to explore the science.

Three assumptions focusing on single vessel brewers are made here.
  • You have decided to incorporate a step-mash
  • You do not have a RIMS setup
  • You have access to a second smaller pot and an available secondary heat source

Having a metal mash-tun makes incorporating a step mash into your process a lot easier. This is arguably one added bonus to BIAB. One that I feel is largely under-utilized by the majority of BIAB'ers.

Four ways to carry out a step-mash
  • Directly heating the tun
  • Infusions of Boiling water
  • Decoction mashing
  • A Combined approach using some or all of the above

My Stove-top setup for step mashing
Decoction Setup.jpg

Step mash via direct heating

If step mashing via direct heating, the mash must be stirred constantly while heat is applied. A mash is a poor conductor of heat. Stirring prevents scorching or uneven heating while also avoiding over-shooting the desired rest temperatures.

When step mashing this way I find it best to kill the heat a degree or two shy of your planned rest temperature. The residual heat in the pot will continue to warm the mash the last little bit of the way.

NG stove ~18,000 BTU
5 Boil.JPG

It's a bit like driving up to a red light, you take the foot off the gas and allow the residual energy to coast you the rest of the way there. The biggest disadvantage to this approach is the constant attention and stirring required while applying heat to the mash. The stirring is tiresome, and with full-volume mashes, takes a lot longer with the lid off and no insulation present. Owing to its low melting point, insulating the mash-tun is not safe on my setup if applying direct heat. My heat source is natural gas. Naked flame and thin plastic Refectix do not go well together.

Infusion Step Mashing

Step mash via infusions of near boiling water requires much less work and attention from the brewer. Stirring is only needed when adding the pre-planned volumes of boiling water to reach the desired temperatures. This is my process.

Boiling water at the ready
HLT.jpg

• The full water volume is collected in the boil-kettle. Minerals and sodium metabisulfite are added to the water to target the desired mineral profile and to eliminate chloramines respectively.
  • Water is drawn off to a second pot providing sufficient volume of water to be boiled and added to raise the mash temperature to the desired rest temperatures.
  • Strike water is heated to target and dough-in carried out as normal hitting the first rest temperature.
  • The previously collected infusion water is brought to a boil concurrently. (Keep the pot lid on and keep it at a gentle simmer to ensure boiling temperature is maintained)
  • Add pre-calculated volumes of this boiling water to the main mash stirring thoroughly to ensure homogeneity of the mash and representative temperature readings.
  • This method allows the mash to be kept insulated throughout.
  • This is also a suitable approach to step-mashing if using a cooler as a mash-tun

Confirming correct rest temperature
Protein Rest.jpg

If you carry out infusion mashes this way it is impossible to overshoot your final mash volumes, an oft touted disadvantage of infusion mashing. If you come up a bit shy on the last infusion step you can take corrective measures. The insulation is removed and directly heat applied to the mash in the same manner previously described. (One more benefit of a metal mash-tun)

Decoction Step Mashing
The third way to step-mash is via decoctions. This involves a similar principle as infusions.
  • A thick portion of the mash is removed to a second pot. This is the decoction.
  • An optional step is to carry out a conversion rest on the decoction itself before heating to a boil and return it to the main mash.
  • The decoction is heated and brought to a boil and boiled for a period of time.
  • The decoction is then returned to the main mash raising its temperature to the next planned rest temperature.
  • This process can be repeated as needed.

Pulling the Decoction
decoction ladle.jpg

Boiling the Decoction. Smells great!
boiling decoction.jpg

Combined Approach to Step Mashing

I typically incorporate a combined approach when carrying out a step mash. There are pros and cons to each method. Infusions are really easy to calculate and manage, direct heating is also very accurate but more work is involved. Decoctions take a bit of experience to learn the required volumes. My software (BeerSmith) typically under estimates the required decoction volume on my setup.

One other point to make about decoctions is that in my limited experience it seems to lower the mash pH a little resulting in a lower measured mash pH than planned pH by about 0.1 Something to consider during planning adjustments to mash pH.

Mash pH is measured at full volume
Mash pH.jpg

A recent combined approach step-mash profile used for a German Pilsner.
MAsh Profile.png

Description of Pilsner profile: Infusions used to target each rest temperature and direct heating to reach a short mash-out rest.

And another recent combined approach for a Vienna Lager
mash profile Vienna.png

Description of Vienna Lager profile: Dough in to hit a short high temperature protein rest, (I will no longer be doing that type of rest), Infusion to reach Beta amylase Rest, single decoction to reach Alpha amylase rest temperature and direct heating to mash-out*.

*Note: The names of the rests are not entirely accurate, donating the dominant enzyme at work.

Step-mashing is fun to do and is purported by some to add complexity to a beer's mouthfeel. I enjoy the added planning and measurement that's needed for a step-mash.

If adding a little complexity and additional time to your brew-day is something that doesn't phase you, I would encourage experimenting with step-mashing. I believe a precise and calibrated thermometer to be indispensable if step-mashing.

I hope this post might encourage others to try out this type of mashing and see for yourself what it can do for your beer.

NB:I am not doing these mashes to seek any improvement in efficiency. There is no difference on my setup between simple and complex mash profiles in this regard.

time is right, if you brewing a 15 gallon batch it adds much more time to your brew day just for the time it takes to ramp up to the next target temp, Ive dabbled in this several times just to get more alcohol without adding sugar and it seemed to work fine just a long day for bigger batches

Nice article, Gavin! You should have offered that up for a front-page article.

I'm getting more interested in brewing lagers, and have only done two so far--a Rauchbier and a Vienna lager--both BIAB. So this is relevant to my interests.

Nice article, Gavin! You should have offered that up for a front-page article.

I'm getting more interested in brewing lagers, and have only done two so far--a Rauchbier and a Vienna lager--both BIAB. So this is relevant to my interests.

Kind words @Maxstout. Thanks very much. It's a bit rough for the front page I reckon. Glad you found it relevant. I'd like to try a Rauchbier. Probably buying one to see if I like it would be wise before making 5 gallons of the stuff though.

Relatively new to lager brewing myself. Only 5 batches made but more planned.

Which Hach meter are you using in the pic? And what do you think of it? I'm still trying to decide which model to get, without breaking the MaxStout bank. :off:

The Hach Pro+

It meets the acceptance criteria of the folks in the know.
  • Stable reading
  • Two point manual calibration
  • 0.01 resolution
  • +/-0.01 accuracy
  • replaceable probe

It works great for me. I would recommend it and buy again if looking for a meter.

Is efficiency better with a step mash

No.

is taste better

Step-mashing is mainly purported to have an effect on a beer's mouthfeel with the objective being more complexity. Flavor impact should be negligible if present at all.

It is an area I am still exploring and learning about. The main premise is to give the brewer more control over the chemical composition of the sweet-wort via deliberate attempts to optimize the action of some or all of the various enzymes in play.

In modern fully modified malts the enzymes brewers can conduct to do our bidding are

• Alpha amylase
  • Beta Amylase
  • Limit Dextrinase

Image from The Braukaiser
Enzymes in Malts and their associated range of action.
PH_and_temp_enzyme_matrix.jpg

Had a nice little post all typed out, then the app crashed on me! Not the first time, so my fault for not saving it. Here we go for a second time.

I'm debating between direct heat versus decoction. Got an electric set up that functions like a RIMS. I can simply change the set point on the controller to change mash temp. But will my beer be missing some important quality that decoction adds? Mouth feel, creaminess, darkening of the wort, magic dunkel dust?

Any thoughts? I don't full volume mash, if that matters.

Edit: forgot to mention, I'm doing a Dunkel.

Had a nice little post all typed out, then the app crashed on me! Not the first time, so my fault for not saving it. Here we go for a second time.

I'm debating between direct heat versus decoction. Got an electric set up that functions like a RIMS. I can simply change the set point on the controller to change mash temp. But will my beer be missing some important quality that decoction adds? Mouth feel, creaminess, darkening of the wort, magic dunkel dust?

Any thoughts? I don't full volume mash, if that matters.

Edit: forgot to mention, I'm doing a Dunkel.

With your setup step-mashing will be a breeze. I'm quite jealous and reckon you'll have a great result regardless of your mashing process. Full-volume mash or not should have no impact. I guess your still mashing pretty thin.

One other thing I've found is that when pulling a decoction the temperature of the main mash seems to drop off a little with the lid off and taking out lots of heated grains.

On your recirculating electric setup there would be no difficulty maintaining the rest temp in the main mash while pulling a decoction. Also if you undershoot the planned increase in main-mash temperature after adding back the decocted portion you'll be able to do a little corrective direct heating with ease.

I'd try out a decoction once you know how esy/tricky step-mashing is on your setup if I were you. I'm guessing it's a breeze on your electric setup. (pinch of salt with that novice statement as I have brewed the sum total of 1 Dunkel and never used a recirculating setup).

For my next Dunkel (doing one again soon) I will likely repeat a decoction mash but tweak my recipe a bit to get less darkening of the wort and bring up my mash pH from 5.3 to (5.4-5.5) It's not quite what I wanted, missing a little magic Dunkel Dust.:p

I did a very similar decoction BIAB process just a little while ago for a Märzen, and it came out deliciously malty, even on a 30+ year old crappy rented apartment kitchen stove. Pretty simple, added just a bit of time on the front end of the brew day, but not insurmountable with good planning.

More complex mouthfeel I'm down with that at the lbs by me that closed they win awards and he step mashes.....he and his dad are the coolest people you could ever meet..... his dad said he just won state I think he is a member on the site and I'm not going to call him out or nothing Plus pretty sure they think I'm a hack but they have never tasted my beer cuz I'm lazy. My hot water tank beer that is yeah I got the PID and the temperature probe I'm might recirculate at some point but want to stay lazy... I could probably step mash with insulate no?

I have been brewing quite a few lagers of late. Many traditional lager brewing methods involve step-mashing. This is of course not exclusive to lagers. Other examples of styles where step-mashing is traditionally used include Hefeweizen and Altbier.

There are reasons to incorporating a step mash into your brew-day. Equally there are plenty of well-versed and respected home-brewers that will argue there is little benefit if any, to using one. The purpose of this post is merely to illustrate the process, not to explore the science.

Three assumptions focusing on single vessel brewers are made here.
  • You have decided to incorporate a step-mash
  • You do not have a RIMS setup
  • You have access to a second smaller pot and an available secondary heat source

Having a metal mash-tun makes incorporating a step mash into your process a lot easier. This is arguably one added bonus to BIAB. One that I feel is largely under-utilized by the majority of BIAB'ers.

Four ways to carry out a step-mash
  • Directly heating the tun
  • Infusions of Boiling water
  • Decoction mashing
  • A Combined approach using some or all of the above

My Stove-top setup for step mashing
View attachment 315935

Step mash via direct heating

If step mashing via direct heating, the mash must be stirred constantly while heat is applied. A mash is a poor conductor of heat. Stirring prevents scorching or uneven heating while also avoiding over-shooting the desired rest temperatures.

When step mashing this way I find it best to kill the heat a degree or two shy of your planned rest temperature. The residual heat in the pot will continue to warm the mash the last little bit of the way.

NG stove ~18,000 BTU
View attachment 315942

It's a bit like driving up to a red light, you take the foot off the gas and allow the residual energy to coast you the rest of the way there. The biggest disadvantage to this approach is the constant attention and stirring required while applying heat to the mash. The stirring is tiresome, and with full-volume mashes, takes a lot longer with the lid off and no insulation present. Owing to its low melting point, insulating the mash-tun is not safe on my setup if applying direct heat. My heat source is natural gas. Naked flame and thin plastic Refectix do not go well together.

Infusion Step Mashing

Step mash via infusions of near boiling water requires much less work and attention from the brewer. Stirring is only needed when adding the pre-planned volumes of boiling water to reach the desired temperatures. This is my process.

Boiling water at the ready
View attachment 315934

• The full water volume is collected in the boil-kettle. Minerals and sodium metabisulfite are added to the water to target the desired mineral profile and to eliminate chloramines respectively.
  • Water is drawn off to a second pot providing sufficient volume of water to be boiled and added to raise the mash temperature to the desired rest temperatures.
  • Strike water is heated to target and dough-in carried out as normal hitting the first rest temperature.
  • The previously collected infusion water is brought to a boil concurrently. (Keep the pot lid on and keep it at a gentle simmer to ensure boiling temperature is maintained)
  • Add pre-calculated volumes of this boiling water to the main mash stirring thoroughly to ensure homogeneity of the mash and representative temperature readings.
  • This method allows the mash to be kept insulated throughout.
  • This is also a suitable approach to step-mashing if using a cooler as a mash-tun

Confirming correct rest temperature
View attachment 316006

If you carry out infusion mashes this way it is impossible to overshoot your final mash volumes, an oft touted disadvantage of infusion mashing. If you come up a bit shy on the last infusion step you can take corrective measures. The insulation is removed and directly heat applied to the mash in the same manner previously described. (One more benefit of a metal mash-tun)

Decoction Step Mashing
The third way to step-mash is via decoctions. This involves a similar principle as infusions.
  • A thick portion of the mash is removed to a second pot. This is the decoction.
  • An optional step is to carry out a conversion rest on the decoction itself before heating to a boil and return it to the main mash.
  • The decoction is heated and brought to a boil and boiled for a period of time.
  • The decoction is then returned to the main mash raising its temperature to the next planned rest temperature.
  • This process can be repeated as needed.

Pulling the Decoction
View attachment 315931

Boiling the Decoction. Smells great!
View attachment 315932

Combined Approach to Step Mashing

I typically incorporate a combined approach when carrying out a step mash. There are pros and cons to each method. Infusions are really easy to calculate and manage, direct heating is also very accurate but more work is involved. Decoctions take a bit of experience to learn the required volumes. My software (BeerSmith) typically under estimates the required decoction volume on my setup.

One other point to make about decoctions is that in my limited experience it seems to lower the mash pH a little resulting in a lower measured mash pH than planned pH by about 0.1 Something to consider during planning adjustments to mash pH.

Mash pH is measured at full volume
View attachment 315937

A recent combined approach step-mash profile used for a German Pilsner.
View attachment 315946

Description of Pilsner profile: Infusions used to target each rest temperature and direct heating to reach a short mash-out rest.

And another recent combined approach for a Vienna Lager
View attachment 315947

Description of Vienna Lager profile: Dough in to hit a short high temperature protein rest, (I will no longer be doing that type of rest), Infusion to reach Beta amylase Rest, single decoction to reach Alpha amylase rest temperature and direct heating to mash-out*.

*Note: The names of the rests are not entirely accurate, donating the dominant enzyme at work.

Step-mashing is fun to do and is purported by some to add complexity to a beer's mouthfeel. I enjoy the added planning and measurement that's needed for a step-mash.

If adding a little complexity and additional time to your brew-day is something that doesn't phase you, I would encourage experimenting with step-mashing. I believe a precise and calibrated thermometer to be indispensable if step-mashing.

I hope this post might encourage others to try out this type of mashing and see for yourself what it can do for your beer.

NB:I am not doing these mashes to seek any improvement in efficiency. There is no difference on my setup between simple and complex mash profiles in this regard.

Just reread this it is so good thanks. .....love your setup my buddy brews 10 gal. On his stove im jealous gas...with 5000watts im thinking not a lot if stirring for me to simply raise a step? stop at red light by slowing good analogy. I think if I want to do a decoction or and infusion I can pull my hot rod out and put it in another kettle .... if you don't have one I think a 2000 watt hundred and 20 volt hot rod would just speed your system up.... with the gas and a heat stick you could probably direct heat step mashes with less stirring and time and at 120 super duper low density just saying anyways im willing to give it a try thanks
Sorry one more thing it occurs to me that with 120 volts you need no controller because full blast is how you will always want it

Im excited to try this

Back