Steeping grains or hops to get flavor profiles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausnfranz

Reaction score
Knowing how ingredients taste is a foundation to successful brewing, is there a way to steep, like tea, small quantities of hops and grains to get an idea of their flavors?

How would this steeping test be similar, or different to actual brewing? I am trying to think of ways to get a better understanding of flavors in a structured test format.

I obviously want to brew as much as possible, but am looking for ways to compliment the brewing process with side experiments.

EDIT: I am talking about steeping each ingredient separately by the way, to better understand how each tastes.

Just taste it before primary! Even the owner of Samuel Adams says brewing is a trial and error science!

This is a great question, and something I have been thinking about as well. I felt suddenly overwhelmed by the huge variety of ingredients and my lack of knowledge of their taste characteristics.

The problem with doing that is that each taste profile is different when you combine it with other ingredients. Hops for instance taste very over powering when you taste them by themselves. I think the best way to get a grip on what each ingredients do is to do some reading and then try and make a brew yourself with what you learned. Just a thought.

The problem with doing that is that each taste profile is different when you combine it with other ingredients. Hops for instance taste very over powering when you taste them by themselves. I think the best way to get a grip on what each ingredients do is to do some reading and then try and make a brew yourself with what you learned. Just a thought.
I'd agree with this. Consider the effect of salt in cooking. A small amount of salt when cooking something can enhance the flavor of that something, but tasting salt dissolved in water is totally different.
I like to produce a very simple recipe for a beer, and then experiment by adding small amounts of something else to see what effects or flavors the new addition adds. This is especially important with adjuncts which require mashing with some base grains for conversion. Steeping some flaked barley on it's own is very different than adding some flaked barley to a mash where the starches are converted.

-a.

I'd agree with this. Consider the effect of salt in cooking. A small amount of salt when cooking something can enhance the flavor of that something, but tasting salt dissolved in water is totally different.
I like to produce a very simple recipe for a beer, and then experiment by adding small amounts of something else to see what effects or flavors the new addition adds. This is especially important with adjuncts which require mashing with some base grains for conversion. Steeping some flaked barley on it's own is very different than adding some flaked barley to a mash where the starches are converted.

-a.

I'll agree with his agreement!

One thought is to do the same recipe, but with one different specialty grain. Or with a different hop variety. Really, though, experience helps you know what you like. Another thing that helps is to go to a homebrewstore, and if they have grains in bins, just take a couple of grains and eat them. They sort of taste like they do in beer, if that makes sense. The differences between crystal 10L and 80L can be tasted like that.

I've been thinking of this sort of thing myself. Ever since Saturday when my wife made her 1st,a summer ale with 1/2lb Carapils for steeping. It got me to thinking,since she got an OG of 1.050,& I got an OG of 1.046 with all extract. I changed my meathod from the Summer Pale I brewed last time. I put all 3lbs of the Munton's plain light DME in the boil,got a small hot break. I then put 1oz of US Perle in for 20mins,at 10 mins,I added 1.2oz of Saaz. At flame out,the other 1/2oz of Saaz for 10 mins. Then mixed in 1 can cooper's draught & chilled to 70F. The rest was the usual.
Anyway,It looks like the .5lb of grains added to the OG a little.? I'm also wondering if the honey malt I saw at the LHBS can be steeped as well? Im thinking of using .5lb of carapils,& .5lb of the honey malt next time,same recipe.

Latest posts

Back