Steelhead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to use a hot shot, or back bounce some salmon eggs with some green yarn tied above the hook. I've even had good luck with prawns.

Prawns are killer hard as hell to find here when the season starts, but sand shrimp slays them as well. Im not much of a egg user for some reason i get bucks but the guy in the other photo has a fridge full of all types of eggs

084_84.jpg

My first steelhead. Near Cleveland. Haven't been in over six years... Caught it on a huge spinning reel. My dad fly fishes for them and he can't think of a better time on two feet.
088_88.jpg

Nice im heading out right now to go find the elusive metalhead.

Barbless hook? do you have a preferred pattern? I moving back to the States July 2014 and want to start tying for down that way.

I usually have a barbless hook. Eggs (orange, white or pink w/ a blood dot), pheasant tails, hairs ears, sucker spawn, and wooly buggers (wht/olive/black). When you're sick of nymphing, you can swing some big, articulated, flashy streamers with googly eyes! Here's a good website http://steelheadalleyflytying.blogspot.com/

Here's my buddy's blog. He runs the orvis fishing shop up in Cleveland. He ties some wacky flies and catches monster steelhead. Also a good writer. http://dudewater.blogspot.com/
IMG_1371.JPG

Well got skunked today. Pink worms nightmares okie drifters eggs spoons nadda hit oh well thats fishing haha

Punity said:
Well got skunked today. Pink worms nightmares okie drifters eggs spoons nadda hit oh well thats fishing haha

How big is your egg glob you're using?

Not big only use the choke baits for the kings and silvers. Bout nickle size.

Cool that sounds about right. Did you tie any yarn above your hook? I always tie either hot pink, orange, or chartreuse. I was told by a guide along time ago to do that because those are the colors the fish can see the best from far away, and it can draw them into your eggs. Make sure when your drifting eggs, if your not using a bobber to have your weight on the bottom and use enough weight to match the speed of the current. When they won't hit on anything I will switch to a rooster tail and that had proven successful for me, at least here in Oregon anyway. Happy fishing.

No yarn. Maybe a corkie, like run the Okie drifters though eaiser to use and less mess haha. But the river was getting pounded that day so doesny suprise me.

Nice. I'm gearing up for spring chinook now. So I will be hitting the river less for steelies. I can't wait for tuna to get here also, now that's a blast!

It's good to see others here enjoy chasing chrome too.

I 90% or more of what I catch unless they are not going to make it due to being too tired. This one put up a nice fight. Nice fresh fall fish.

hpim2621k.jpg

It was a tad over 30 inches. It hammered one of these....

hpim2568.jpg

:mug:

It is not a jig. It is a lazy man's egg sucking leech. Just a #2 4xl 3xs streamer hook with maribou + few strands of glow in the dark flashabou for the body, a few turns of chenille to make a small ball or head. I drift em.

These are nice when they are picky. Tied on a very small #14.

hpim1726i.jpg

Ahh I see. Looks fancy. Been using a lot of pink worm this year with some goof success

I tired the pink worms for the first time this fall. Caught a few fish on them. I can't wait to see how they do when our spring run is in full swing.

Have you tried the 2" power minnows? I did very well on them a few times.

No I havent. How do you use your worms. I run mine off a white jig head.

I have tried running them a few different ways. Wacky rigged with a jig both under a float and drifting, rigged with a standard hook like a regular worm bottom bouncing, and in slower water on a 2 way rig with a fly. My best success with them was drifting them like a regular worm.

A green size 35 hotshot. It was my only fish of the day. Had a few hits but no hook ups.

Punity said:
Locals mostly Whynochee and humptulips sometimes if we feel up to it we go down to the Willipa or cowlitz

Do you ever fish the Lewis?

No I never have I wanna get around more fish all over the NW

When your done fishing the NW come east. 10 fish + days are not uncommon here. The guys here who have never been out west do not know how well we have it here.

Was an ok fall here in WNY. Hit and miss. This is a picture of my best fish this fall. Lake erie trib. Tried to keep her in the water the whole time for the picture but she kept flopping all over the place. Swam away fine to fight another day nonetheless. Have not been out yet this spring, still alot of shelf ice and what not. After it warms up a bit later in the spring we get a fanominal small mouth run here. Monster smallies can be as fun if not funner than the steelhead IMO.

Tight-Lines to all.. H.S.

ForumRunner_20130218_132518.jpg

Nice hen! I've done elk creek at the old hatchery a few times. My first experience with a #12 sucker spawn fly. Still can't believe they hit stuff that small.
Last time I was upstate we were using #18 crystal meth! Sheesh!

Back