STC-1000 wiring - Can I use computer cord?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to wire up my STC-1000, and I had the brilliant idea of using an old surplus computer power supply cord for the power cord (since a replacement "power tool cord" at Home Depot is $10+, but I already have a bin full of leftover computer power cords).

I cut the end off of the cord to expose the white/green/black wires inside, and discovered the wires are noticeably thinner than the copper wires inside standard household wiring cord. Is it safe to use this cord for an STC-1000, or is it not rated to withstand the kind of current draw the STC-1000 is going to be drawing? Should I shell out the $10 for a higher-rated extension cord to sacrifice, or is this cord more than adequate?

I'm getting ready to wire up my STC-1000, and I had the brilliant idea of using an old surplus computer power supply cord for the power cord (since a replacement "power tool cord" at Home Depot is $10+, but I already have a bin full of leftover computer power cords).

I cut the end off of the cord to expose the white/green/black wires inside, and discovered the wires are noticeably thinner than the copper wires inside standard household wiring cord. Is it safe to use this cord for an STC-1000, or is it not rated to withstand the kind of current draw the STC-1000 is going to be drawing? Should I shell out the $10 for a higher-rated extension cord to sacrifice, or is this cord more than adequate?

Depends how much load you are going to put on the STC's outputs. Does the cord have any markings that would indicate the wire gauge? You can get some idea of gauge vs. current capability at: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/electrical-primer-brewers-145019/

If would ever use the max 10A rating of the STC-1000 then you should use a cord with a wire gauge rated for 10A.

Brew on :mug:

The cord should be at least as heavy as the refrigerator (or whatever it is you are using) that plugs into it. But to be safe, use 12ga as suggested. This thing is working on mains power, and the internal wiring should also be 12ga. I used pieces cut from the power cord I bought for the internal wiring.

It'll be fine. I used a computer cable for mine. Powers a refrigerator and a waterbed heater. 12A rated cable.

I ended up using a "power tool replacement cord", rated for 12 amps. It's working fine. It's currently holding a Bohemian Pilsner lager I brewed on Saturday between 11.5° - 12.5° C.

When I did my STC-1000 build, I put a computer power cord receptacle on the project box, that way I can use any standard computer power cord to power it should the cord get damaged.

Been working for over a year and a half now powering a chest freezer and a small space heater.

Both of my chest freezers are rated below 5 amps so I felt comfortable using a computer cable.

Back