STC 1000 for HERMS Element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmick

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm getting into a semi-HERMS setup where I'll be using a heatstick in the MLT with a copper coil for the HEX. My question is, can I use a STC-1000 (a la the ebay aquarium build) as a controller for a 1500W, 120V heatstick? The STC is rated to 10A/250 VAC, but I've noticed people typically have SSRs in their setups, but I'm not sure if that's for higher wattage elements for full boils and such. Any insights or info from anyone who's done something similar would be appreciated.

Technical Parameters:
1. Temperature measuring range: -50°~99°C;
2. Resolution: 0.1°C;
3. Accuracy: ±1°C (-50~70°C);
4. Sensor error delay: 1 minute
5. Power supply: 110VAC±10%, 50/60Hz;
6. Power consumption: ?3W;
7. Sensor: NTC sensor (1PC);
8. Relay contact capacity: Cool 10A/250VAC;Heat 10A/250VAC;
9. Ambient temperature: 0~60°C;
10. Storage temperature: -30~75°C;
11. Relative humidity: 20%~85% (No condensate).

Based on #4, I think you should be ok if you dont mind a 1min delay between cycling. If it doesn't work at least you can warn all of us and just sell it here.

That compressor delay could technically be set to a lower time.
On the other hand, you mentioned using 1500W / 120V heat stick to heat the water. That thing will be drawing 12.5 amps at normal load. That will probably burn up the relay pretty quick. This is why you need to use an SSR appropriately spec'd for your intended use. Since the switched circuits on the STC-1000 use 120V AC the SSR would need the signal side of the relay to be appropriate... or you will need a step-down converter and an AC-DC device to change the stepped-down electricity to DC to signal the SSR.

Also...
You would probably want to get a better sensor. One that is not cased in plastic. Preferably, a Stainless Steel sensor. Or put a thermowell in your HLT for the sensor that comes with the STC-1000.

Yeah, I picked up a AC input SSR just to be safe, like $15 on amazon. Some people say the relays on the STC are rated to 15A, but better safe. Also may get a thermowell, even though this should theoretically work since it's for aquariums. I'll post some pics of the setup once wired.

Hello,

I did an e-herms using extreme heating tape wrapped around stainless pipes and am having success. In fact I plan to use the same approach for my heater for my copper to bring the wort to a boil by adding elements.

I run the e-herms system on a 110V 15Amp circuits with 50% margin (I draw about 10 amps for a pair of heaters).

I do 5 and 10 gallon batches. 1.5qts/lb

Hello,

I did an e-herms using extreme heating tape wrapped around stainless pipes and am having success. In fact I plan to use the same approach for my heater for my copper to bring the wort to a boil by adding elements.

I run the e-herms system on a 110V 15Amp circuits with 50% margin (I draw about 10 amps for a pair of heaters).

I do 5 and 10 gallon batches. 1.5qts/lb

Could you explain your setup a little more?

Latest posts

Back