SSR vs Mech Relay/Contactor for boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenc_zymurgy

Reaction score
Here's my 3rd, and last question on the subject (until I do more research!) on my Electric Brewing plans:

I assumed I'd be using SSRS to control a 1650 ~2250W element, like most brewers. I have some experience with SSRs on other projects, and I know that heat-sinking is critical when you get up to tens of amps. And that many of the cheap ebay/ali-express units are counterfeit (seems mostly authentic units, but a 10 Amp unit is relabeled as a 40 Amp?). So for > 20 Amp SSR, I'd want to buy from a major US distributor, and those aren't cheap. Plus heat sinks.

Then it occurred to me that the relay/contactor for a home A/C unit ( 20 ~ 40 A @ 240V) cycles a few times an hour for several months for years. I did some research, and for < $15 these are rated for 100,000 cycles. And they are dual pole, so could be used on 240 V as well, and I could parallel the contacts for 120V, which should further prolong life.

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/t92p7d22-12/te-connectivity ( 3 minimum, < $40 with shipping to me)

Some math - per brewing session, 1 cycle to heat the strike water, 1 cycle to heat the sparge water, and 1 cycle to get to a boil. Not sure how many cycles to control a 60 minute boil, but I'd guess that a 10 second period ( X seconds ON, 10-X seconds OFF) would be more than fast enough to maintain a consistent boil. So that is 6 cycles per minute, and 360 + 3 cycles per brew session. round up to 400, is100,000/400 = 250 brews. That's beyond my lifetime (I'm a geezer).

So I'm thinking the mech relay has advantages for this sort of set-up (not for a RIMS/HERMs though, I think those need faster switching and/or true PWM?). Other advantages are fully OFF (no leakage current from SSR). And typical failure is OFF rather than ON for an SSR?

I'm competent enough with Arduino programming, that I could easily set up a $4 Pro-Micro for 0~100% duty cycle on one pot, and the time period on another. I'd include some safety start ups, and a safety time out (I have his nightmare that I get locked out of the house with my pots on!).

About the only con I can think of is hearing the relays clunk on/off every 10 seconds for an hour, but I usually wander in/out during the boil, so I don't think that will bug me too much.

Anything else I'm missing?

Mechanical contactors may be rated for 100k cycles, but not at 20 per minute. You're solving a problem that doesn't exist. Here's a legit 40amp SSR for $17.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&products_id=30

OK, that's a much better price for a legit SSR than I was finding at the big distributors. But I'd still need to add a $10 heat sink, and assure I've got a good thermal transfer with the compound. That's probably larger than just the relay.

I wouldn't think the rate of cycling would affect the cycle life of a relay. Isn't 100,000 still 100,000, if it's 20/minute (though I also assumed a "cycle" meant an ON/OFF cycle?) or 2 per hour?

I've actually bought some of the FOTEK SSR on ali-express for another project. Super cheap, $5 for a (labelled) 40 Amp unit. I doubt it is actually 40 A capable, but I was using it in a 1 Amp circuit (none of the SSRs above a rated 10A need any heat sink at all at below ~2 Amps). Though I didn't feel good about supporting a likely fraud.

BTW, I did some research on these cheap SSRs a while back. I looked up specs on the Triacs that are used, and it seems that regardless of Amp rating, they have approximately the same Voltage drop at X amps, so it's hard to tell if a 40 A label is using a 10 A rated Triac, without actually doing a destructive test.

A 10 second cycle time at boil will give you noticeable pulsing in your boil. At that cycle time it will stop and restart. Brewers using SSR's at a two second cycle time see noticeable pulsing.

Brew on :mug:

You understand that boil control does mean turning the element on and off up to once per second right? A good boil control at 50% power is 500ms on and 500ms off. If you're talking about doing 5 gallon batches with a 2250w element, you don't need to worry about that because the boil will be fine at 100% output (no cycling).

I'm wondering whether I ought to be changing out the timing capacitor in my SSR controller to reduce the cycle duration, which is noticeable. btw, my element is 5500W.

But mostly I'm still wondering: what are the ill effects of a bit of "pulsing" on the process or the product?

OK, I wasn't aware that the switching needed to be that fast. I was thinking that volume of liquid would have enough thermal mass to even out over a 10 second period, but I guess not. Switching a big honking relay once a second would probably drive me nuts (I do split boils, so there'd be two of them), and the lifetime might be short enough to just not make sense (but still ~ 55 brew sessions, about 4~5 years for me, so not a crazy bad life expectancy).

So I'll do some more research on the SSRs and heat sinks. I'm thinking I'll add one big toggle switch to select SSR or straight line - no need to run that SSR hot when I'm heating strike/sparge water, or bringing the wort to a boil. Switch the SSR in only during the boil. Plus a main ON/OFF switch that I'd put a shield over to make it easy to turn OFF, but would take a little effort to turn ON for a bit of added safety.

I'm wondering whether I ought to be changing out the timing capacitor in my SSR controller to reduce the cycle duration, which is noticeable. btw, my element is 5500W.

But mostly I'm still wondering: what are the ill effects of a bit of "pulsing" on the process or the product?

I was just catching up on some of the threads about slow boils and low evaporation rates (5%), so I wonder. As long as you hit a target boil-off, would a pulsing boil even matter? Those threads seem to be saying that even a simmer gets the job done.

Industrial automation guy here.

Mechanical relays and contactors are not designed for rapid cycles. During operation there is always a small voltage jump as the internal contacts near each other while closing. This builds up heat and carbon over time (how fast depends on voltage, amperage and cycles/minute). 2-3 operations per minute is pretty rapid for switching relatively high currents. More then that will burn out your relay's contacts over time.

I'm a very new brewer (just 3 batches under my belt) so I can't say anything about a pulsing boil effecting a brew 'cause I haven't a clue if that'll effect anything or not. I can say, however, that I would advise using a SSR over a mechanical solution. They are specifically designed to do rapid switching after all.

Industrial automation guy here.

Mechanical relays and contactors are not designed for rapid cycles. During operation there is always a small voltage jump as the internal contacts near each other while closing. This builds up heat and carbon over time (how fast depends on voltage, amperage and cycles/minute). 2-3 operations per minute is pretty rapid for switching relatively high currents. More then that will burn out your relay's contacts over time.

I'm a very new brewer (just 3 batches under my belt) so I can't say anything about a pulsing boil effecting a brew 'cause I haven't a clue if that'll effect anything or not. I can say, however, that I would advise using a SSR over a mechanical solution. They are specifically designed to do rapid switching after all.

I think I'm convinced. I guess I was thinking the SSR requirement was from the RIMS/HERMS cases where fast control is probably needed, and that *maybe* a relay could work for the boil.

I didn't think about the heat build up on the contacts from each high current switch operation, I'll take a closer look at the datasheets, I don't think that's mentioned, but then again, they probably figure with a 100,000 life, relays would not be used in that way. But since my use would be so intermittent (one or two hours a dozen times a year), I thought I might get away with it. The simplicity and total disconnect are attractive features.

I guess I was also thinking about those electric cooktop "Infinity" controls (mechanical/thermal switch - like the old car turn signals). I haven't cooked on an electric cooktop in decades, but I seem to recall being able to maintain a steady light boil/simmer. I guess the difference is those big round elements (plus the directly heated pot) had a lot of thermal mass?

I also did some more digging into specs on the SSR - a 45A rated one can run 10A in free air w/o a heat sink (not that I'd recc it, that's right at the limit), but a 1650W element on 120V is only 13.75A, and if I only switch in the SSR for the boil, I'll be below 100% duty cycle, so I guess the heatsink performance isn't as hard to achieve as I was thinking.

https://documents.opto22.com/0859_Solid_State_Relays_data_sheet.pdf
Thanks to all for the feedback.

I think I'm convinced. I guess I was thinking the SSR requirement was from the RIMS/HERMS cases where fast control is probably needed, and that *maybe* a relay could work for the boil.

I didn't think about the heat build up on the contacts from each high current switch operation, I'll take a closer look at the datasheets, I don't think that's mentioned, but then again, they probably figure with a 100,000 life, relays would not be used in that way. But since my use would be so intermittent (one or two hours a dozen times a year), I thought I might get away with it. The simplicity and total disconnect are attractive features.

I guess I was also thinking about those electric cooktop "Infinity" controls (mechanical/thermal switch - like the old car turn signals). I haven't cooked on an electric cooktop in decades, but I seem to recall being able to maintain a steady light boil/simmer. I guess the difference is those big round elements (plus the directly heated pot) had a lot of thermal mass?

I also did some more digging into specs on the SSR - a 45A rated one can run 10A in free air w/o a heat sink (not that I'd recc it, that's right at the limit), but a 1650W element on 120V is only 13.75A, and if I only switch in the SSR for the boil, I'll be below 100% duty cycle, so I guess the heatsink performance isn't as hard to achieve as I was thinking.

https://documents.opto22.com/0859_Solid_State_Relays_data_sheet.pdf
Thanks to all for the feedback.
One more thing in favor of an SSR: A relay coil is inductive and itself requires a certain pull-in current. Assuming it works at all, the relay will likely kill your Arduino in short order if you don't put a relay driver between your Arduino and the relay. This would add to your cost and reduces reliability.

One more thing in favor of an SSR: A relay coil is inductive and itself requires a certain pull-in current. Assuming it works at all, the relay will likely kill your Arduino in short order if you don't put a relay driver between your Arduino and the relay. This would add to your cost and reduces reliability.

They are 12V coils, so an Arduino would definitely need a transistor and you always need a clamp diode across a relay coil. That's pretty minor, and highly reliable, and I've got plenty of those parts in the bin, but it is one more thing. Oh, and then I'd also need a 7805 to drop the 12V to 5V for the Ardunio , or a separate wall-wart. It all adds up a little bit.

I bought two used Crydom 50 amp SSR pulled from industrial equipment on ebay for $18 that run at room temp for a 10 amp load on my DIY air popper coffee roaster. They are designed to be mounted to a panel, but even at a 20 amp load I doubt they would need a heat sink. The cheap fake ones are a fire hazzard and I wouldn't use them with or without a heat sink.

Do we need to scrape together a collection basket to buy you a $10 heat sink? I've never seen so much agony over saving money for what is such an industry standard solution that we know works.
:) No, I'm just doing my usual over-thinking. And I do like to (in my mind) challenge the status quo, not so much that I think the established conventions are wrong, but it helps to fix in my mind *why* those are the conventions. And I probably got a bit scared from the reports of these fake SSRs.

And heck, if a hot plate would work (sure seems marginal to me), that means no drilling into a pot and extra fittings. The simplicity is attractive, the downsides almost certainly rule it out. And now I see the hot plate being used is commercial grade, and big $.

I'm convinced. So with that in mind - where do I get known-good SSRs at a good price? I think someone linked earlier to some pretty cheap heat sinks on ebay like these ($4?)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pcs-Alum...632752&hash=item5b736d6e15:g:K~8AAOSwLB5epwes
And this place has been mentioned for SSR:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30

Back