State Fair of Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeafSmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had a great day at the fair yesterday - didn't stay as long this year as usual, but it was a really nice day. Recommendations: the Chinese acrobats of Cirque Shanghai - they do some unbelievable stuff, the Killdares (Celtic rock group) as always worth hearing, the flag lowering ceremony by the Marine Corps band, the auto show, the exhibit of Model A Fords, corny dogs, Tornado Taters, and best of all, some good beer this year. We started out with the usual cheap beer stand in the Food Building (7 coupons for a Shiner Bock), then later wandered into the beer garden (Magnolia Lounge, I think), where I found "Lost Gold" IPA on tap. I had three of those before the day was out - what a hop bomb! :drunk: Expensive (12 coupons), but yummy.

Since it was a short day, I didn't make it by the Hans Mueller tent as I usually do to get my German food fix, and missed the end of day parade and show. Also didn't make it to the IMAX show, which was the same as the one I saw last year. There's lot's of other stuff to see, which I've seen in the past, so skipped this year - the animal shows, the bird show, some of the live entertainment (musical groups), the ferris wheel, and the midway is always fun.

This state fair is a "don't miss it" occasion for anyone in the Dallas area, and I haven't missed one in 20 years. :rockin:

Note - you might want to skip this weekend, due to the Texas - OU game, unless you're into that sort of thing.

EDIT: Also check out the display of historical items from the Texas revolution, civil war, etc. in the Hall of State building.

Never been, this is my first year living in Dallas. Really looking forward to it though. We'll probably go during the week to avoid the crowds.

What's the can't-miss fried food this year?

What's the can't-miss fried food this year?

You have to have a corny dog from the Fletcher's stand across from Big Tex - I think it's a law. Tornado Taters and Jack's french fries are good. Other than that I didn't sample much of the fried food this year, not even the new contest winners. But I was really happy to find some good beer this year!

Latest posts

Back