State Fair Beer Competion -- Blind Tasting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElDuderino

Reaction score
My wife and I went to the Oregon State Fair this weekend to hear the results of the beer competition. We were both amazed at how many times one guy in particular won (14 times) out of 3,600 entries altogether. No, I didn't win a ribbon. No, I'm not a sore loser (I started brewing last year and I'm the first to admit that I have a lot to learn, which is what makes brewing more fun than making a glass of Tang).

It's not my intention to question someone's skill who obviously brews a ton and undoubtedly makes stellar beers. I guess it did make me wonder if the judging is really blind, or whether the judges know who's beer they are tasting? Is it common for one person to win so many times in so many different categories?

I've only entered beers in two different contests and it's been fun each time. I'm just trying to understand the contest thing a little better.

At a state fair, you'd like to feel that the tasting is truly blind.

Recently, I took 3rd in a nearby competition, and I was amazed. I sometimes wonder if the tasters knew that one was mine, and the brewmaster was somehow giving me a hand, due to my enthusiasm.

You could always check the rules, but that doesn't mean that they actually followed them. Corruption is possible.

Or the guy is truly fabulous brewer!

It's quite common, at least in the comps I've been in, to have 1 brewer stand out with several brews taking awards. Just take a look at the NHBC results. You'll see Jamil placed 20 some-odd brews.

My wife and I went to the Oregon State Fair this weekend to hear the results of the beer competition. We were both amazed at how many times one guy in particular won (14 times) out of 3,600 entries altogether. No, I didn't win a ribbon. No, I'm not a sore loser (I started brewing last year and I'm the first to admit that I have a lot to learn, which is what makes brewing more fun than making a glass of Tang).

Wow 3,600 entries? That's a ton for a state fair. The NHC last year had about 5500 entries.

3,600 sounds steep. Are you sure it wasn't like 360?

We thought we heard three thousand and there were a couple entries that won from out of state, but you are right, it sounds really high. It was hard to hear everything that was being said, as the PA was competing with random fair noise and alternative rock blaring from a stage behind us...

I think the guy that won must be a home brew guru.

It is an unfortunate aspect of my nature to suspect the man in the black pajamas.

You know, it is Oregon. I can imagine something like 1000. We get 750+ at our state fair comp, and it is considered one of the biggest one day comps in the country. Oregon has a big brewing community for sure.

And I totally understand how one guy can win that much. There are brewers that are just that much better.

If you look at the pdf above, there is a category called sesquicentennial. WTF is that? Google says a 150 year anniversiary. How does that relate to beer. I haven't heard of it before.

I just judged at a county fair in Wisconisn- it was much smaller, to be sure- but it was a blind tasting. There were some good beers, some awful beers, and a few outstanding beers. In the best-of-show round, the first place was a fantastic stout, and the second place was a kolsch. We found out later when looking at the standings that was the same brewer. He also had a couple of other beers place.

I think some brewers are just very good at brewing, especially for contest. They study the style, the water chemistry for that style, and brew to the BJCP guidelines. I've tasted some good beers that didn't score well, because they were out of style for their category. A high scoring beer meets the guidelines for the style, and has no discernible off-flavors. That's pretty hard to do!

I judged our State Fair, we had about 750 entries and I promise you it was 100% blind. My money says that guy is just a damn fine brewer who brews all year for this one event and cold stores everything. People brew for different reasons and some people plan their entire years brewing schedule around specific competitions.

If you look at the pdf above, there is a category called sesquicentennial. WTF is that? Google says a 150 year anniversiary. How does that relate to beer. I haven't heard of it before.

It's OR's 150th birthday. Only requirement for the category was to have a starting gravity of 1.50

This is oregon's 150th anniversary of statehood. It's been cause for celebration all year. My ears are still ringing from the report of the muskets.

This is oregon's 150th anniversary of statehood. It's been cause for celebration all year. My ears are still ringing from the report of the muskets.

It's OR's 150th birthday. Only requirement for the category was to have a starting gravity of 1.50

Pretty cool. Being an east coaster, I didn't get an invitation to the birthday party:). I like the idea of the category having such a simple requirement.

I have to wonder how many started right at 1.050. I guess you have to take the brewers word that they weren't a year early and actually hit 1.051. I'm assuming you meant 1.050, not 1.50. That would put a hurting on you.

Back