starting gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
I brewed my blue moon clone today with a full boil using my new setup outside. It was an extract brew, and I took a gravity reading after I put it in my primary(before adding yeast) while the beer was at about 80 degrees, and it read 1.062, my documentation from AHS states it should be about 1.053. What does that mean for my beer?? Did it have to do with me not adjusting the hops because of the full boil, I forgot to reduce them by 25% like I was going to.

Your beer will have a higher potential alcool but you'll be fine. Depending on your yeast profile, you'll probably end up at around 1.012-1.014. Don't think hops have anything to do with. I had the same problems when I switched to all grain until I got my process dialed in. There are a lot of factors involved in not getting your numbers right on. Different brands of extract, for one, evaporation rate is another. If the beer tastes good after fermentation is done, that's all that counts.

One of two possibilities:

1. You boiled off more volume than you accounted for and ended up with less total volume (which would result in a more concentrated wort and higher gravity).

2. Your wort was not sufficiently mixed with any top-off water you used.

It is pretty much impossible to miss you gravity by that much without one of two things occurring above.

One of two possibilities:

1. You boiled off more volume than you accounted for and ended up with less total volume (which would result in a more concentrated wort and higher gravity).

2. Your wort was not sufficiently mixed with any top-off water you used.

It is pretty much impossible to miss you gravity by that much without one of two things occurring above.

It was probably me not mixing my top off water enough. Is that something I have to worry about now that I already added the yeast or will it mix itself?

Back