Starting gravity not high enough, add more sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SexPanther13

Reaction score
I'm making a gluten free strong belgian ale and I used roasted chestnuts. I don't know what amount of sugars I was supposed to get out of the chestnuts even with 12+ hours soaking in amylase enzyme but I obviously didn't get the conversion I was looking for.

Anyways my SG is at .1060 I wanted it to be at .1080 I'm just using some Belgian Candi sugar and Corn sugar to bring up the gravity and I already put in 1lb Candi sugar and 5lbs Corn sugar.

I have some more corn sugar lying around, how do I figure out the quantity I would need to add to the fermenter to add .0020 to the gravity of a 5 gallon batch? And should I add it as soon as possible or just throw some more in towards the end of the fermentation?

Well, we can do the math, but I would just settle for the lower gravity beer. If you've already put in 6 pounds of sugar, 1.053 or so comes from those sugars. I already don't think this is going to taste very good, but adding 2 more pounds will only make it worse.

Just the Chestnut chips and the corn sugar and candi sugar. It was all experimental so I didn't know how much I was going to get from the chestnuts. Maybe I should have soaked them for 24hours at 150 degrees F.

Well, we can do the math, but I would just settle for the lower gravity beer. If you've already put in 6 pounds of sugar, 1.053 or so comes from those sugars. I already don't think this is going to taste very good, but adding 2 more pounds will only make it worse.

lol, thanks for the confident remarks. I'll settle then.

Latest posts

Back