Starting from the ground up.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerguyNC61

Reaction score
Ok after getting a quote from the local NG company for a connection on the deck I have decided that gas is so so so out of the picture. Today I had an electrical contractor come out to give me a quote to wire a 240V 50 amp GFI breaker at the main and wire it to a twist lock receptacle into the soon to be brew room. My question is this over kill? I want to have a single tier three kettle system modeled off of Kal's website.

Any thoughts? Slams? Suggestions...... Fire away!!

A bottle of propane and a burner would be much cheaper. Keep in mind that if you have an electrical set up inside, you'll still need to install a fairly significant ventilation hood.

Installing 50 amp service probably isn't much more than installing 30amp. No reason not to. Now you can run your BK and HLT at the same time. Ballerstatus.

You won't be sorry you went 50A. There will always be additions or modifications you want to make. I ran 100A to my garage, 50A to my HLT and 30A to my BK. I'm set...for now....;)

The reason I am pricing 50amp is so I can have both the HLT and BK going with no worries...
What is the concern with ventilation? Is it the steam?

Go 50 for sure. One thing I would consider is putting in a sub panel instead for the brew room. It will be much easier to add additional circuits down the road. I added a sub panel to the detached garage years ago for woodworking and it's been the best thing I did since I have since added additional circuits and am now adding an electric brewery to the woodworking shop. The expense is in the labor pulling the cable so you might as well have a bigger gauge cable pulled and then put the gfci in the brewery subpanel. Just a thought.

The reason I am pricing 50amp is so I can have both the HLT and BK going with no worries...

Yes. Boiling off a solid gallon or two of water creates a lot of moisture. You don't want that on your ceiling.

Unless you're renting :p

BeerguyNC61 said:

Yeah its a lot of moisture. I wouldnt even boil in my garage. Moisture damage is no fun, mold = total disaster

The room is under a concrete slab so ceiling is concrete, the walls are brick an concrete block.

Back