Starting a yeast culture from the dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holden

Reaction score
So I have a Lambic that I bought in Belgium. It's a rare one that is unpasteurised and all that. I read an article about brewing Lamics where the author suggested keeping the dregs from a bottle to start your own yeast culture, but I can't seem to find any guide on how to do this. Admittedly I have no experience with yeast whatsoever. Any pointers or links to a how to on this would be much appreciated. I know there is the chance that there are multiple yeasts and they might grow different amounts thus altering the beer's flavour, but nonetheless I figure it's worth giving it a shot.

While that link is certainly helpful and I will definitely refer to it later on, it doesn't say how you get from the dregs to be culturing the yeast. I mean, do you have to do anything to the dregs or do you just just pour it in a container and wait for it to grow?

You could pour it into a small starter (or viceversa), innoculate plates from the dregs using a loop, etc.
If it were me I'd probably innoculate a few plates then dump in 50ml or so of starter into the bottle and step up from there.

You'll want to be very clean, flaming the lip of the bottle, the loop, etc.

Yes it does say what to do but you have to read carefully. Start with 50 ML wort and some of the yeast in the bottle. Make sure to not just pour out the yeast before sanitizing the bottle top with some vodka on a sterile gauze. You must be very careful to be sanitary.

Thanks for the tips fratermus. That was just what I was looking for.

Back