Starter looks odd...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epateddy

Reaction score
Hey all.

Got my starter together last night, so it's been churning for about 12 hours now. Looks a little different than my usual starters though - almost like the yeast is not mixing with the wort. I'm used to a milky white-ish liquid after 24 hours. Any thoughts?

There are 2 packs of Wyeast 1968 London ESB in there. I've used 1056 (American Ale) most times. Maybe this is just unique to this particular yeast?

starter2.JPG

No that's normal for that strain. When making a starter for wlp002, also an English esb strain it does the same thing. Highly flocculent yeast that clumps together even on the stir plate.

British yeast strains are highly flocculant and so form chunks. Totally normal. It'll chunk out in the fermenter, too. First time I had a very vigorous ferment with a british strain it looked like a lave lamp - freaked me the hell out.

British yeast strains are highly flocculant and so form chunks. Totally normal. It'll chunk out in the fermenter, too. First time I had a very vigorous ferment with a british strain it looked like a lave lamp - freaked me the hell out.

:mug: What about the first time you saw a yeast cake that resembled cottage cheese...? :D

Oh, it was cottage cheese - cottage cheese swirling around the fermentor because of the vigorous ferment, hence the lava (LAVA, not lave, I can't type at all..) lamp comment. I was so sure I had contaminated it, I ran right to the these here forums...and realized that everyone who has ever used a British strain saw the same damn thing.

Funny, I've got the exact same thing going right now - same strain, 2 packs in 1600mL, looks almost identical. Thought it looked a little unusual, but figured RDWHAHB. Then remembered I was in for an all day online project management class, and figured the HAHB part was a bad idea, at least until later.

So this yeast is now doing its thing in a Zombie Dust Clone. But because I don't have any cooling setup for fermentation yet, and my basement is slowly warming up, the temp topped out at 70-71. Basement temp has been 63-65. Temp range for this yeast goes up to 72 according to Wyeast. I'm pushing it. Any concerns here?

Back