Starter from slurry shows possible infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoofdogABC

Reaction score
Hi, the below pic is from a flask of slurry I had mixed into a starter - the stopper has a bluish-green ring about where the liquid would have penetrated to when I shook it up (to oxygenate the DME wort).

I have never seen anything like this before, so I assume the most likely vector is the slurry itself having contaminants in it, if this is indeed evidence or likely evidence of infection.

Any guidance on this would be appreciated, I am holding off on throwing it away for now.

yeaststopper.jpg

could be the dried wort took on that color but the pic is pretty blurry. if it smells fine i'd flame the neck and carry on.

This seems to be the best pic I can get in night-light conditions. It doesn't smell off, not much smell at all now but it is dry.

stopper.jpg

Probably something eating the sugars leftover on the stopper, not likely to live in a liquid enviroment since you are seeing it in a dry enviroment. If it really is blue/green then is is likely Penicillium/Aspergillus (bread mould) and no concern.

Back