starter for WLP630 Ber. Weisse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moti_mo

Reaction score
Making my first Berliner weisse this weekend, using the White Labs WLP630 Berliner Weisse blend. From what I've gathered, its best not to make a starter for this type of blend, b/c the lacto will grow more quickly than the sacch. Is that correct?

Anyone have experience/suggestions using this blend?

A lot of people struggle with making their BWs sour enough. I've never used that blend, but I usually give my Lacto at least a couple days' head start on the yeast. I tried 3 days once, but it ended up a bit too sour.

Well I'll be letting it go for several months over the spring and summer, so hopefully the slightly higher temps in my basement for the summer will help produce some good sourness.

Lactobacillus is inhibited by hops and alcohol. I've read of people letting their BW ferment for months without getting more sour. You'll need to keep your hopping under 7 IBU if you want the Lacto to have a chance.

Residual sweetness has a big impact on perceived sourness, too. Yeast is inhibited by low pH. I've gotten apparent attenuations in the 40-50% range on many of my BWs. IMO this is probably why most peoples' BWs don't end up as sour as they want them.

Latest posts

Back