Start bottle fermentation very cold???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erritsoe

Reaction score
I've just returned from a holiday to Belgium and I heard that one brewery had a new (for me) approach, when bottling the beer.

After bottling they had this schedule:

3 weeks in a fridge (10" C)
3 weeks in room temperature (20-21" C)
12 weeks in a fridge (10" C)

Has anyone tried playing with this way to do the last fermentation on the bottles. I'm used to start with 2-3 weeks in room temperature - then in a fridge...

Regards from Alex, Denmark:)

I don'y know why they'd cold crash int eh bottles first, then bring back to room temp to carbonate & condition? Seems backwards to me. Just carb & condition at room temp for 3-4 weeks on average, then a week in the fridge to clear any chill haze that may form & compact the yeast/trub on the bottom of the bottles. It'll also give better carbonation & head. Two weeks in the fridge even moreso. The last time would be lagering.

It seems weird, but they may be doing it to reduce ester formation when during carbonation. Or, they may be using a lager yeast for refermentation. I have read/heard about Belgian breweries adding lager yeast at bottling. Either way, I doubt they would do it if it didn't work for them.

Back