Starsan question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threeeight

Reaction score
I've been using iodophor so far, but when I went to the LHBS to restock, they were out of it, so I picked up some starsan.

Fast forward to brewday-I fill my carboy with 5 gallons of water, 1 oz of starsan, stir, top it up to the rim, and let it sit. Racking time comes...I pour out the solution, leaving some bubbles behind. I decide not to rinse the bubbles out and just rack right in and pitch.

4 days later, fermentation is progressing as expected, but it looks like there are little pockets of starsan bubbles in my krausen. Am I tripping? Did I use this stuff right? Do I need to just RDWHAHB?

Starsan is perfectly safe to come in contact with your beer. It has been proven many times to be of no harm.

Just relax... and have a home brew ;)

Next time you don't need to fill the whole carboy. Add a 1/2 gallon or so and spend a minute or two shaking it around.

your tripping, do not fear the foam!

I used iodophor for a long time before making the jump to star san. Star san is a superior product. It works faster, leaves no off flavors, and no stains. Star san can work in 30 seconds of contact time. You can mix it up in a spray bottle and just shoot things with it.

Only remember that a mixed solution will loose effectiveness over time. Mix a new batch every time you want to use it. Same goes for iodophor

I REALLY need to host and post my video of me drinking some star-san. The stuff is perfectly safe...and goes well with vodka and a twist of lime.

Only remember that a mixed solution will loose effectiveness over time. Mix a new batch every time you want to use it. Same goes for iodophor

But that's not so with Star-san! If you use distilled water, it's good as long as it's clear and the pH is under 3. That could be months.

Next time you don't need to fill the whole carboy. Add a 1/2 gallon or so and spend a minute or two shaking it around.

I mix up about two gallons of Star San each brew day. I sanitize the carboy with a gallon swirled around and drained back to my sanitation bucket. I use that solution to sanitize everything else in need.

At the end of the brew day, I save the left over sanitizer, now about 1.9 gallons. That now becomes where I soak my empty and rinsed bottles. It is where I sanitize anything I use that comes in contact with wort or beer.

I should take PH readings and continue to use it until it is spent but I don't. Eventually, I simply use it to rinse washed carboys and at the end of the cycle I use it to rinse the trub out of the carboy before I use fres water to clean it.

Use less, but more other stuff.

Star San is perfectly safe and will not hurt your beer. You are wasting a ton of it by filling up your carboy, just a little needed and swish it around to coat all surfaces.

I put the stuff on everything I can equipment, counters, caps, corks, o-rings, my hands, kids, dogs, wife if she holds still long enough.

Back