Starsan in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Math0

Reaction score
I read everywhere that starsan in beer wont alter the taste and is a no rinse sanitizer. What I do when I sanitize my fermentation bucket is just put about 1 liter of my solution (1oz with 5gal of water), I shake well enough and I empty the whole thing. My question is: is there a quantity of starsan that can be bad for a wort at pitching time? Or the bubbles, even if there is a lot wont affect in any way the final product?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've never had an issue with StarSan or the bubbles, and tend to use just a little more than the recommended amount. I have a feeling if you dump 32oz into 5 gallons you may get some bad side effects, but haven't ever tested that theory!

I'd say just stick to the recommended amount and you'll be good to go!

Star San is basically an acid. As you add wort it becomes diluted and has very little effect on your wort. If you left a lot of Star San in you bucket, I guess it could drop your PH and have some negative effect, but I would have to be a lot.

Starsan works by lowering the pH. If you just have bubbles in there, then there is t really enough starsan to affect the whole batch. If you have actual starsan solution in there, I suppose it may be possible. I tend to be liberal with the starsan and not terribly diligent about dumping leftover foam, and I have never had a flavor problem that I can attribute to that.

I think the bigger issue might be foam stability. Starsan also has a fairly powerful surfactant that I have heard (on BN podcasts) can affect foam stability.

Starsan works by lowering the pH. If you just have bubbles in there, then there is t really enough starsan to affect the whole batch. If you have actual starsan solution in there, I suppose it may be possible. I tend to be liberal with the starsan and not terribly diligent about dumping leftover foam, and I have never had a flavor problem that I can attribute to that.

I think the bigger issue might be foam stability. Starsan also has a fairly powerful surfactant that I have heard (on BN podcasts) can affect foam stability.

Are you saying that if I have about 1gal of foam at the bottom, its not a problem then? I was always shaking it to have the least amount

Are you saying that if I have about 1gal of foam at the bottom, its not a problem then? I was always shaking it to have the least amount

You would probably be fine, like others have said it may affect head retention some but even that would take a fair amount of left over Starsan. 1 gallon worth of foam would be a lot of foam though.... I'd be willing to bet if you let the foam settle you'd be left with a lot less then you think you have.

Btw unless your using your ferm bucket to dunk other brewing equipment in to sanitize your wasting a lot of sanitizer. You can use 1 or 2 gallons of water with a bit of Starsan (like a 1/4 oz) in your bucket then swirl it around make sure all of the bucket gets wet and that should do it. In a podcast it was mentioned by Charles Talley (maker of Starsan) that he's required by the epa to say it needs a two minute contact time. It's really more like 30 seconds...

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/...Session-03-19-06-Sanitation-w/-Charlie-Talley

Yeah well 1gal of foam is probably like 50 ml of starsan. Thanks guys!

Back