Starsan issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daimyo2k

Reaction score
Hey all...

I just sanitized my bottles for a round of hard cider. I didn't notice this last year (my first-time making cider), but the outside of my bottles have a greasy film on them and I noticed the my bucket of Starsan, when I put my hand in, can out very slippery/soapy. I used 2 tbsp (1oz) of Starsan for my 5 gallon bucket. Should I just wipe off the bottles? Re-adjust the amount of Starsan and re-sanitize Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance...
Stephen =]

1 oz of Starsan concentrate per 5 gallons of water is the correct amount to use for no-rinse applications. Did you stir well?
Is this a freshly made working solution?

I too have noticed a somewhat "greasy film" left on glassware that was dunked in Starsan, then allowed to dry.
But just using them wet, which is recommended to keep them sanitized, it's never been an issue.

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, fresh made and stirred well. Sounds good, I'll just give the outsides a good wipe-down.

YVW!
I just thought of something. Did you use an (alkaline, grease removing) detergent such as Oxiclean or washing soda in warm water, when cleaning your bottles, before sanitizing them? If you didn't use such a detergent, it may well be grease that was left on the bottles from handling or just sitting around.

I always wash my glass yeast jars in such an alkaline solution, and have never noticed a grease residue on those. Although they could be somewhat slick from the Starsan while still wet with it.

Back