Star San Spray dilution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcdermo

Reaction score
For those of you who use a spay bottle of star-san, how do you dilute it?

Thanks.

I make a normal 5 gallon batch of solution, then separate that into 5 - one gallon containers. Then I just refill my spray bottle from one of the gallons...

No that helps. So it's essentially the recommended mix. I was thinking some might make a heavier solution for a bottle.

Thanks.

I have some clean 1 gallon apple juice bottles for when I just need a small amount. I mix up just under 1/4 oz. starsan to 1 gallon. It's a little stronger than recommended, but doesn't seem to cause any problems. I use this solution for spray bottles and sanitizing most of my gear.

I just got a syringe taped a small piece of tubing to the StarSan bottle so it stays with it. Then I used a calculator for figure the amount of StarSan in milliliters (that's what's marked on the syringe) I need for each size container I mix up and wrote those number on the back of the StarSan in Sharpie. If you're reading this then you have a calculator on your PC that can do all the unit conversions and US to metric conversion for you.

So it takes me about 10 sec. to draw up the right amount for each time I mix up a container to use. Also, if I intend to keep the mix for more than one brew day I use distilled water from the grocery store and use tap water if I intend to dump it at the end of the brew.

Carex_70005_1138.jpg

I mix two and a half gallons at a time, just be sure to use distilled water. Some tap water will render it useless within a day. 2 key points, pH below 3.5 and "clear" not cloudy.

I use RO water, and my solution usually lasts about a month or so before going cloudy. I also strain it with voile when I pour it from jugs into the fermentor. You would be surprised how much hair, lint, etc. gets caught up in the voile afterwards...

Back