Star san safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeadStrong

Reaction score
I know not to fear the foam, but when I sanitized all my equipment before transferring from primary to secondary there was still small amounts of star san liquid in the carboy and tubing and auto siphon. Will that kill the yeast or effect the beer in anyway?

its safe and won't kill the yeast. One of the many great things about star san compared to the other sanitizer options out there (i.e. bleach or iodine based products), its ok to have some small amounts come into contact with your beer. You'll be fine :)

The wort will raise the ph level high enough so that the starsan is null and void. The yeast actually end up using it for food eventually...

I also heard the head honcho drank an entire glass of properly diluted starsan to show how harmless it was. I'm not advocating the activity, but I wouldn't worry about even 6-0oz in the bottom of a bucket once diluted with 5 gallons of beer (and 6-8oz is way more than should be left in the bottom of a bucket unless you were exceptionally careless).

I have listened to the pod cast of the star san creaters explanation. I do believe it is safe, but I still choose to always rinse. I mean, why not?

Ster said:
I have listened to the pod cast of the star san creaters explanation. I do believe it is safe, but I still choose to always rinse. I mean, why not?

Because you are putting something non-sterile into your sterilized container. Rinsing undoes what the starsan is for. You might as well not use it.

To each his own, and if this works for you, I guess that's cool, but don't suggest it to people. I'm really into the "no wrong way to do something if it works", but you're doing it wrong.

Ster said:

Because the water your rinsing with May not be 100% sanitary is the only reason I can see. If you can drink it and it contain high levels of chlorinates you should be fine either way.

Because you are putting something non-sterile into your sterilized container. Rinsing undoes what the starsan is for. You might as well not use it.

I am sure this was probably explained in the very same podcast. I think it is a great product, but if anyone really has any concerns about it in or on your equipment, simply let it drain/dry thoroughly before using...

I don't think that is good advice either. It is a wet contact sanitizer, which means it should NOT be left to dry.

BTW, I'm not a huge starsan lover or anything (in fact, I've never even bought any), but I am familiar enough with its usage to know a thing or two...

I don't think that is good advice either. It is a wet contact sanitizer, which means it should NOT be left to dry.

BTW, I'm not a huge starsan lover or anything (in fact, I've never even bought any), but I am familiar enough with its usage to know a thing or two...

Ideally you let it dry. Those are Jon Herkovits' (ceo of starsan) words not mine. Especially with stainless, it helps to repassivate the metal when needed...

Starsan is a no rinse sanitizer. It's a wet contact one & will not hurt you or the beer. It breaks down into yeast food anyway. Just drain well & you're good to go. And it's not ideal to let it dry,which reduces it's effectiveness by about 50%.

You can let it dry. Star san does the work and sanitizes everything. Just because it's dry, doesn't mean that is tainted again. It would have to come in contact with something non-sanitary to become contaminated again. Once it's been sanitized, it's sanitized until conditions change that. No different than an autoclave. It's only sanitizing when it's cooking. But after the items are cool and out in the air, they are still sanitized. they are now just susceptible to becoming soiled.

The nice thing about Star san is that you can keep the stuff wet though. When it's wet, it is still sanitizing whatever it is in contact with, so if a fly lands on your wet spoon and you don't see it, it's less likely you'll have any issues.

I just usually keep a bucket around full of the stuff and after I wash things, they immediately go in the bucket.

StarSan is a brewer's best friend. When in doubt, douse it with a healthy dose! Everything and I mean EVERYTHING that comes in contact with the wort on the cold side sees StarSan. I have 2 spray bottles around the house filled with it so one is close by whenever I need it!

Clonefan94 said:
You can let it dry. Star san does the work and sanitizes everything. Just because it's dry, doesn't mean that is tainted again. It would have to come in contact with something non-sanitary to become contaminated again. Once it's been sanitized, it's sanitized until conditions change that.

Good call. I wasn't thinking about it that way. I've always just heard to use the item before it is allowed to dry. Never really thought about it...

Regardless, the original question was of the safeness of StarSan. Whether dried or not, whatever was left in the carboy would still be there. The only thing that goes away with evaporation is the water from the StarSan solution.

Dead horse beaten. Safe to use.

But once it dries,if whatever is sanitized is left out in open air,nasties can settle back on it out of the air they float around in. when Starsan sries,things are suseptible again. Unkless they're bottles on a bottle tree,which are upside down.

Back